Saturday, August 18, 2012

OK, I'll play, too

Sam links to an interesting post at Not Clauswitz about the history of you as told by the music you listen to.  It's a dopey NPR questionnaire, and you have to sort of be a dope to play along.  OK then, here goes.

1. What was the first song you ever bought?  Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon.



2. What song always gets you dancing?  I used to be pretty light on my feet, fifteen years ago.



3. What song takes you back to your childhood?  Mom and Dad were big Peter, Paul, and Mary fans.  This was my favorite when I was little.  Used to be able to play it on the guitar in College, where I learned that more than a couple of girls also loved it.



4. What is your perfect love song?  I've posted this a couple times before.  The best is here.



5. What song would you want at your funeral?  A bit young for me to be planning that, but here goes.  I just ran across this a few months back, but it's hauntingly beautiful.



6. What is the one song that describes you?  I'd like it to be this one.  That's a high bar, right there.



So meme away, everyone!

7 comments:

raptros-v76 said...

Ok. Let's see...
According to my Amazon MP3 history, the first song I ever purchased (through that service; no need to talk about what I did before then) was Scar Symmetry's "Holographic Universe".

Gets me dancing: well, I find it impossible not to rock out to Meshuggah's "New Millenium Cyanide Christ. Not only is it basically about a dude becoming a cyborg, it has the best music video ever.

Takes me back ... to high school: Wintersun's "Beyond the Dark Sun". I set up my computer with a cron job to have this as my alarm clock for the second half of my second year.

Perfect love song. I'm just going to go with Ayreon's "Day 11: Love" because it's the first song in metal about love that I could think of.

At my funeral: Insomnium's "Last Statement", because that's what it's about. Look at the lyrics.

The definitive one: Nile - "Annihilation of the Wicked". I heard this song for the first time at the exact moment when it could have the greatest possible impact, and I've been a metalhead ever since.

Dave H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave H said...

What was the first song you ever bought?

An album: Blood, Sweat, and Tears Greatest Hits. Favorite song from it would probably be "God Bless the Child."

What song always gets you dancing?

I don't dance, but if I did it would be "Boogie Wonderland."

What song takes you back to your childhood?

"Guitarzan" by Ray Stevens.

What is your perfect love song?

"If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago. (First song my wife-to-be and I ever danced to.)

What song would you want at your funeral?

"Ave Maria."

One last song that makes you, you.

I'll have to go with "O Fortuna." Take your best shot, Fate.

Borepatch said...

Dave, I love Guitarzan.

Anonymous said...

At my funeral:

Amazing Grace

on the pipes.

gfa

BobG said...

Young people here, from the sound of the songs.

1. Sound track to "2001: A Space Odyssey"

2. It used to be "Twist and Shout" The Beatles (back when I still danced)

3. "Hi-Lili, Hi Lo" Leslie Caron

4. "You've Got It" Roy Orbison

5. "It Was a Very Good Year" Frank Sinatra

6. "My Way" Frank Sinatra

The Neophyte said...

1. Year of the Cat by Al Stewart
2. Staying Alive by the Bee Gees
3. PP&M also takes me back but I really remember Snoopy vs the Red Baron by the Royal Guardsmen
4. Always & Forever by Heatwave
5. He Stopped Loving Her Today by George Jones.
6. Common Man by John Conlee