Monday, September 27, 2010

You leave home, you move on, and you do the best you can

Alea iacta est.  The die is cast.
- Julius Caesar, crossing the river Rubicon to march on Rome
We've gotten an offer on Chez Borepatch.  While we're taking a haircut (those of you who've met me know that this is A Bad Thing), we're not taking a haircut so bad as to stop our Drang Nach Suden strategy.  December should see us in the vicinity of Roswell, Georgia.  Maybe even snooty East Cobb.

If anyone has a recommendation for a Gun Store that you like in those parts - one with people you trust and like doing repeat business with - I'd be mighty appreciative for any recommendations.

But the kids are now having to deal with this reality as reality, not as potentiality.  Leaving their friends behind is hard, especially to #2 Son.  We moved here when he was five, and so this house is the only one he's really known.  It's the House That Built Him.



I hope that in time he realizes that the friends you leave behind - those that are real friends - are never really left behind.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
- Pericles, Funeral Oration

9 comments:

soulful sepulcher said...

I understand this, from your point of view and your kid's. (and Mrsbp)

I hope the move is smooth, the home is where your shoes are at the door, flowers on the table and fav dinner in the oven.

George said...

I've always had a hard time with change, so I understand.

But Dixie will be richer for the BP family move. I see a SE blogger shoot in the future!

Paladin said...

Glad things seem to be progressing smoothly, and hope they continue to. I underwent being uprooted in a family move when I was 11, so I can sympathize with Progeny #2. Especially since I was a bit introverted.

As you've noted before, though, that we live in a different age than when you and I were kids. People stay a lot more linked up, what with the internet, cell phones, and the like. Maybe that will ease the transition. None of that around when we moved... just BAM, you're someplace different with no one around that you know.

Geez... I'm just a hair's breadth away from "In my day..." :)

Tam said...

"Maybe even snooty East Cobb."

My childhood home, right near Terrell Mill park.

Remember: In East Cobb, the Big Chicken is referred to as le poulet gran. :)

Brad_in_IL said...

BP . . . used to live off Holcomb Bridge Road east of GA-400. Traffic nightmare that would make Jason on his worst day jealous. Choose carefully as I understand traffic has gotten worse by orders of magnitude. Not that you have parent-hood in your future, but more babies are born in the back of cars in Metro-Atlanta than in any other area due to congestion blocking easy access to hospitals.

Borepatch said...

Brad, we used to live on the west side of 400, up by Crabapple. We know the traffic situation.

1911A1 said...

I guess I'll say welcome a little in advance. For brick and mortar gun shops, Bullseye in Lawrenceville-shooting range and gun store. You can rent full-auto AKs, M-16s, Thompsons, MP-5s, etc. there.

I also know a kitchen table dealer up near Hickory Flat who will blow everybodys doors off on price if you're interested.

Borepatch said...

1911A1, I'd be interested in your recommendation. Can you please send me an email? borepatch at gmail dot com.

TOTWTYTR said...

My daughters best friend moved to Michigan when they were about 13. They're still best friends thanks to the miracle of Al Bore's Internet, cell phones, and email. Unlike when I was a kid, keeping touch doesn't mean expensive phone calls or hand written letters. Both of which always fall off quickly.

I think #2 son will be able to stay in touch with his real friends without much effort.