Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lead from the front

Yeah, this post is late, sorry - I was busy.

#2 Son's JROTC Awards Ceremony was tonight, and so I went.  I mean, I've missed pretty much everything like that this school year, being (mostly) 900 miles away down that Highway 20 Ride.  And so I wasn't about to miss one more.

I'm glad that I went.  The Major used an interesting expression in describing the attributes of each of those Cadets: "lead from the front".  I looked sideways at #2 Son and realized with sinking heart that he learns from example, too, and my example has been away for too long.

And so at the reception following the awards, I introduced myself to the Colonel.  I offered to come in and give a talk to the Cadets on information warfare, the field of cyber defense, and what the DoD is trying to do that might be of interest as a career path to High School JROTC Cadets.  Might even be able to turn it into a seminar series.

His eyes lit up.  I think that we have a plan, or at least a discussion.

Because it wouldn't hurt for #2 Son to see his old man do some leading from the front.  You do what you have to do to keep hearth and home whole, but now that I'll be home regularly it's time to set an example by actions.  So he sees that if you want to do something, own it.

So I'm really not sorry at all that I was late posting tonight.  No offense.

7 comments:

doubletrouble said...

BZ.

kx59 said...

Hell, I'd come to that if it weren't 900 miles away. I wish I could do something that cool for my son.

Keads said...

Well Done Sir!

Guffaw in AZ said...

What doubletrouble said

drjim said...

You were doing something far more important than a blog post.
Well Done!

Borepatch said...

Thanks, guys. #2 Son thinks it would be cool, too. And that's cool.

Anonymous said...

They really do grow up fast and you wonder where the time went.
They do need that talk because the next war could be fought won or lost in cyberspace, remember kiddies keep those process control machines connected to the internet it adds to the fun.