Thursday, August 10, 2023

The latest news from the DEFCON security conference

Dwight is in Las Vegas for the conference and has the scoop.  I've posted about a couple of these (the Tesla hack and hacking police radios), but there's so much more.  DEFCON is an interesting shindig - a mix of government, corporate, and freak-flag hackers.  I think it does a real service to the industry getting all of these folks together.  Dwight's post is highly recommended for all readers.

And can it really be the 31st DEFCON?  I think that the last ones I went to were 13 and 15.  I must be an old fart.

UPDATE 10 AUGUST 2023 10:46:  Dwight emails to say that he's not in Vegas, but covering things remotely.  You still should click through to his post and follow the next few days.

3 comments:

Jonathan H said...

This reminds me of the old saying that if you have physical access to a machine you can always get control of it.
As far as Tesla, I've heard stories about this happening to multiple brands and assume it will continue. I wonder how much it will take for companies to move away from subscriptions for car features?

Unknown said...

"I wonder how much it will take for companies to move away from subscriptions for car features?"

My guess is that it will require either legislation (which I am personally opposed to, as a libertarian), or mass consumer rejection of subscription based features, at a level that makes the Bud Light boycott look like a giant nothing-burger.

==Dwight

Old NFO said...

Will do, thanks!