Friday, August 4, 2023

Cowboy Junkies - Blue Moon Revisited

Ambisinistral at YARGB has a regular Friday feature, showcasing off-beat and unusual (well, to me at least) music groups.  It's a delight, and you should check it out.  Today it's Heidi Feek with her unbelievably sultry contralto version of Elvis' hit Blue Moon.  I'd never heard of her before, and it is a great intro to her.

But it made me think of The Cowboy Junkies, back in the day of Big Hair.  To my taste, this was their greatest song.


I only want to say That if there is a way I want my baby back with me 'cause he's my true love My only one don't you see? And on that fateful day Perhaps in the new sun of May My baby walks back into my arms I'll keep him beside me Forever from harm You see I was afraid To let my baby stray I kept him too tightly by my side And then one sad day He went away and he died Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone Without a dream in my heart Without a love of my own Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for You heard me saying a prayer for Someone I really could care for I only want to say That if there is a way I want my baby back with me 'cause he's my true love My only one don't you see

Ambisinistral, thanks for this musical waltz down memory lane.  The Queen Of The World will think I'm being too nostalgic, but you know how sentimental I can be.  Especially when Big Hair is involved.  Did you know that The Queen Of The World had great Big Hair?  Very grrrr, Baby!

3 comments:

Birdchaser said...

Saw them in concert a couple of times. Their cover of Sweet Jane is pretty damn good too.

ambisinistral said...

Hey! Thanks for the linkage, glad you enjoyed this week's TGIF song selection. When I first started doing them, I wondered -- because I knew my selections would be a bit eccentric -- if many people would watch them. It seems they do get watched. Regardless, I'm always glad for the feedback.

And yea, big hair had its odd charms.

lee n. field said...

I stumbled across this version of Blue Moon, when looking for the 60s doo-wop version by the Marcels.

I love this one. Half the speed, and melancholy.