Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Blogger HTML Access - Now With Pictures

Since Silicon Greybeard asked in the comments, here's how to access the HTML code in Blogger. Having created written instructions for users many times over the last 30 years I have learned that instructions with screen shots are understood more clearly and are better received than text only instructions. 

1) Log into Blogger.

2) Select "Design" in the upper right hand corner.

3) Select "Theme" from the menu on the left.

4) Click the drop down arrow attached to the "Customize" button.

5) Select "Edit HTML" from the drop down menu.

6) The code that appear is the structure of your primary page. Here there be dragons. You have all the editing power, including the power to make an unusable mess. If you want edit the widgets, like blogrolls and text boxes in the margins, click the icon with the four little boxes in the top right.

7) Select the desired item from the drop down menu. Since we have our blogroll broken into categories, there are several in our menu, named "Bloglist1" and so on.

8) If what you are doing is trying to restore your full blogrolls, open each "Bloglist" and find 'numItemsToShow'. You can search the page or just scroll until you find it. Change that number from 10 to a number large enough that your blogroll is no longer truncated.

Anything else you want to do could be done in the HTML. You could copy the page out into an HTML editor, make changes, and copy it back. Blogger works fine for what we use it for and this is the first time I had made a change at this level. No one I know designs pages in raw HTML, it's all done in some WYSIWYG editor, like Dreamweaver, but if you're comfortable in the code, any text editor can be used.

10 comments:

Glypto Dropem said...

"No one I know designs pages in raw HTML"

Back in the day, I had a Geocities page (still in the Wayback Machine) about my classic car. The Geocities page designer tool would not work for me, so I built it all manually in html code. Tables, colors, fonts, borders, photos, etc.

I have forgotten most of it.

Jeff B said...

Thank you, sir!!

ambisinistral said...

I would be very careful editing your HTML that way if you're unfamiliar with it. If you do, be sure to copy all the HTML and save it in case you need to return to the original version because of an error in your editing.

I don't know which browser you use, but most have a means of inspecting HTML elements. When you're in that mode you can easily make changes on the fly that will show up immediately on the webpage (but they aren't saved -- you go to the HTML and add your changes when you're satisfied.

HTML Inspect element

I've built webpages from scratch by writing the code by hand to writing programs that generated the pages on the fly. I've also taught web design. I don't want to discourage anybody from tweaking HTML (or possibly the CSS Style that determines how HTML elements display). As long as you make sure to have a backup copy of the HTML and the CSS you can play around and restore using the backup if your efforts go pear shaped.

SiGraybeard said...

Thanks, ASM826. Looks like an easy thing to try. With adequate caution as ambisinistral suggests.

Old NFO said...

Thanks for the 'simple' explanation with pics!

Irish said...

When I tried doing that and increased it to anything above 10 it wouldn't let me add or remove any blogs. Once I set it back to 10 it worked.

Please let me know if any one had tried that yet.

Thanks very much,

Irish

FeralFerret said...

In Chromium (Yes, I am a Linux user), you can do as ambisinistral said and view/modify the HTML code by hitting the F12 key. As he stated, this does not save, but once you see what you want you can copy it and save it for pasting into the actual editor.

ASM826 said...

Irish,

Looks like you're right. You can't edit the lists if the setting is higher than 10.

Irish said...

I tried all kinds of ways to get around editting the blog roll when the sidebar was larger than 10 on the list. When I couldn't get it I created another widget and it worked as I added to that list.

Then I copied the body of the html for each widget and ran a comparison of the text with MS Work.

The only difference was the number of visible. The "uneditable" was 50 the new one was 10.

I also noticed if you use the toggle for number of blogs to show it only allows 1-10. Once I reset the 50 back to 10 it worked.

I wonder why it caps at 10? Data stream maybe? when someone accesses the page.

They also did away with the reaction buttons. I have not found a work around for that.

Thanks for trying ASM

Irish

Ken said...

For what it's worth I recommend Notepad++ as a text editor. I don't code in HTML much but I use R now and then and it's excellent for that.