Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Quote Of The Day, medical system edition

Dr. Samizdat has changed his practice, for quite good reasons:

There is no doubt that hospitals are, in this day and time, among the most dangerous places to find oneself surrounded by. The thing I love about what I do now, compared to years past, is that 99% of what I do is considered to be outpatient. I stepped back from a component of my practice that was complex, high-risk, and in my estimation after two decades of experience, had limited impact upon survival relative to what I do now. One of the reasons I altered my focus is that while the hospitals were more than happy to have that complex, high-risk practice under their rooves, they weren't willing to spend the money to provide adequate ancillary support to maintain satisfactory, SAFE postoperative care. These were faith-based institutions, mind you.

You really should go read his post.  The health care system in this country will not survive under these conditions.

4 comments:

Aesop said...

Is it possible you linked to the wrong post, and that was the second of two, but should have been the first one?

Glen Filthie said...

It won’t exist in its current form, that’s for sure…

Michael said...

Current version uses too many resources to provide "everything folks are willing to PAY for". Milvans of supplies are still in my little hospital's storage yard due to supply chain disruptions.

Not going to be more that critical care when supplies drop to nil.

IF that. Ditch medicine or Mexican street medicine is my plans.

Jonathan H said...

It also uses disposable everything when many items, if made right, could be sterilized and reused.