Saturday, March 5, 2022

Walker Hayes - Fancy Like

The Great White Whale that today's Nashville Producer Ahabs are constantly chasing is the cross-over mega hit.  This is why most Country songs don't sound like Country anymore.  Once in a while, they find one - artists like Taylor Swift or Keith Urban who may or may not sound Country even if there's a banjo playing.

But once in a great while, they find a mega crossover hit that's actually Country.  And it seems that we can thank the Covid lockdowns for it.

Walker Hayes is a singer-songwriter from Mobile, Alabama.  Like a bunch of singer-songwriters, he's a "ten year overnight sensation" - working for years in the belly of the Nashville beast before getting his breakout chance.  His chance came last August.  Unable to tour, he wrote a goofy song about his family and he and his teenage daughter came up with a goofy dance to go with it.  They were just having fun, but then lightening struck on Tik-Tok and thousands of people were filming themselves doing the dance.

And the song shot not just to #1 on the Billboard Country charts but #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.  It was a White Whale.

I have to say, this song is just fun.  Yes, it's Country Pop, but its family oriented, good-clean-fun themes are clearly Country.  Both The Queen Of The World and I enjoy this.  She suggested I post it this morning, so this is kind of a Command Performance.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.


Fancy Like (Songwriters: Walker Hayes,  Cameron Bartolini, Josh Jenkins, Shane Stevens)

My girl is bangin'
She's so low maintenance
Don't need no champagne poppin' entertainment
Take her to Wendy's
Can't keep her off me
She wanna dip me like them fries in her Frosty (frosty)

But every now and then when I get paid
I gotta spoil my baby with an upgrade (ayy)
Ayy, ayy, ayy

Yeah, we fancy like Applebee's on a date night
Got that Bourbon Street steak with the Oreo shake
Get some whipped cream on the top too
Two straws, one check, girl, I got you
Bougie like Natty in the styrofoam
Squeak-squeakin' in the truck bed all the way home
Some Alabama-jamma, she my Dixieland delight (ayy)
That's how we do, how we do, fancy like

(Ooh)
(Fancy like, ooh)
(Fancy like, ooh)
(Fancy like, ooh)

Uh, don't need no Tesla to impress her (don't need no Tesla to impress her)
My girl is happy rollin' on a Vespa (there she go)
Don't need no mansion to get romancin' (ooh, woo)
She's super fine, double wide, slow dancin' (slow dancin')

But every now and then when I get paid
I gotta spoil my baby with an upgrade 
Ayy, ayy, ayy

Yeah, we fancy like Applebee's on a date night (that's right)
Got that Bourbon Street steak with the Oreo shake (ayy)
Get some whipped cream on the top too (gotta add that whipped cream)
Two straws, one check, girl, I got you (girl, I got you)
Bougie like Natty in the styrofoam (styrofoam)
Squeak-squeakin' in the truck bed all the way home (all the way home)
Some Alabama-jamma, she my Dixieland delight (ayy)
That's how we do, how we do, fancy like

My new clean blue jeans without the holes in 'em
Country kisses on my lips without Skoal in 'em
Yeah, she probably gon' be keeping some Victoria's Secrets
Maybe a little Maybelline but she don't need it
In the kitchen light, radio slows down
Boxed wine and her up-do goes down

Ayy
Yeah, we fancy like Applebee's on a date night (that's right)
Got that Bourbon Street steak with the Oreo shake (ayy)
Get some whipped cream on the top too (gotta add that whipped cream)
Two straws, one check, girl, I got you
Bougie like Natty in the styrofoam (styrofoam)
Squeak-squeakin' in the truck bed all the way home (all the way home)
Some Alabama-jamma, she my Dixieland delight (ayy)
That's how we do, how we do, fancy like

And here's the dance he and his daughter invented that really kicked this off, along with a pretty interesting interview with him about the whole thing.



4 comments:

BigCountryExpat said...

Cute song

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

That was delightful, Borepatch. My compliments to The Queen Of The World.

libertyman said...

If I were a betting man, I would guess that that dance has been rehearsed at Castle Borepatch.

Mind your own business said...

Guess I haven't paid any attention to what passes for "country music" these days. Sounds almost rappish to me. G-rated rap, but rap all the same. Words that can barely be understood. (Thanks for showing the "lyrics" otherwise I would only have understood about 1 out of every 4 words.) No real harmony, just a beat. Just sort of a Kerouac stream-of-consciousness saccharine word salad, on repeat. No thanks, hard pass.