Thursday, July 30, 2015

Told ya

Tam gets her security blogging on:
While the nerd community on social media is absolutely freaking out over the possibility of "hacking sniper rifles", I can't help but think that being able to hack a Tracking Point rifle is like knowing how to hot-wire a Ferrari Enzo: Fascinating at parties, but not a skill you'll get much chance to ever use.
Your humble host on the subject, a couple years ago:
When I saw this I said to myself, "Self, what do you bet that there's no security in that wireless server?"  My Self is pretty nasty and suspicious, and thinks that if he reached into the bag of 'sploits you'd pwn that rifle before you could say "Hey Verne, hold mah beer."  Like I said, he's nasty and suspicious.

But the chances that the code is wide open is high.  What would you do if you took over Sund00d's high tech scope?  Change the aim point so that it shoots wide by 10 MOA?  This scenario is filled to overflowing with LULZ.
Not that it took any deep insight or genius to make that particular call, but I did told ya ...

1 comment:

EMS Artifact said...

I think we talked about this a couple of years ago. That was in the context of an IT guy who hacked into his own Insulin monitor/pump.

Now, I read that IV pumps used in hospitals and ambulances can be breached. AEDs and pacemakers are likely to be breached, if they haven't already.

I think in the very near future every device with Internet or wireless access will need some level of security. How much security remains to be seen, but even a low level of security is better than no security.