Saturday, September 12, 2009

If you see one of these, don't click it

Firefox has some nifty built-in security protections. One of these is a database of web sites that have bad reputations - known to serve up malware, for example.


You might see one of these, even if you aren't going to that web site. I wasn't headed to radioheadicon.cn ("CN" is China). I did go to a different site, which linked to the bad site.

Is this place serving up malware? Don't know. But reputational filtering is a new Internet security trick that seems pretty useful. I'm happy to take Firefox's suggestion and leave this one behind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still wonder why anyone uses IE for anything.

Speaking of which, get this: I can get the Sirius (satellite radio) feed in Firefox on Ubuntu 9.04, but not on Firefox on Windows XP. Bizarre, huh?

Jim

Borepatch said...

I actually like a fair amount of what I see in IE 8, and need to do a post on it.

But I'm also surprised at how some things are transparent with Linux, but hard with Vista. Connecting to our NAS backup box was automagic from Ubuntu, but I had to install drivers (!) to connect Vista to it. Ans it's all using SMB, not NFS.