Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Thoughts on hurricane prep

Overall we are pretty pleased with how our preps went.  We have a "hurricane kit" which is 3 storage tubs of stuff plus water jugs and equipment like a generator.

I plan on adding a set of tiler's knee pads to the kit for when I have to be on my knees setting up the hurricane shutters.  I also think I'll add another 5 gallon gas can, just for an extra window.  That will give be about a week of generator time.  

I'll also get a one gallon gas can so that I don't have to lift 5 gallons of gas to gas up the cars.   I don't like to keep gas around when we don't need it because you have to put in a stabilizer and it still ends up getting gunked up.  I just fill up the cars (which keeps me out of the post-storm lines at the gas station) but transferring it to make the lift lighter would be good.

With the water cans we were in good shape, and we filled up the bath tub and washing machine for wash water.  I am pretty comfortable that we could have ridden out a week fairly easily, maybe two with our water filters.

I'm thinking about getting Starlink for Internet because that will be back as soon as the storm passes; no linemen needed.  The kit is $350 and install is ~ another $350.  Not sure I want to spring for that right now.

I do think that a battery radio with AM/FM/Short Wave needs to be an addition to our kit.

I'm shocked at the number of neighbors who had essentially no preps at all.  This was maybe a good window into what things might be if something serious happens.  Since I'm the guy with the loud generator, this would make me a magnet.  Ugh.


2 comments:

Stephen said...

Didn’t think to fill the washer machine for water. Seafoam in my limited experience seems to stabilize fuel so much better. Stabil and starbrite barely kept fuel for six months, seafoam in my current test is good now till 10 months. Though I think at 12 I’ll rotate thru vehicles and refresh. Just bought some more water jugs, I keep alot of bottled water in hand but there’s value in some 5-7 gal jugs. Thanks for the info!

Ritchie said...

A I KW inverter can run lots of things off a car battery with no sound signature. Some only run a little over $100.