Monday, October 7, 2024

Dear God: it would be OK to let this hurricane season be over ...

 

That dot that says "M" on Wednesday at 7PM?  Yeah, that's right over my house.  They're calling for Cat 4 and a 12 foot tidal surge.  We're on moderately high ground - if we flood then 80% of Florida is basically gone, but the folks on the barrier islands are looking at a fresh hell coming at them.

As is Joint Base McDill.  Maybe if it hits there the military can get some quicker rescue going when it hits there than they did in North Carolina.  Yes, that's pretty nasty to write.  The fact that you can write that is even nastier, IMHO.

This seems to be a useful site, if you're on the water:


I give NOAA a lot of flak for their climate change nonsense, but this is exactly what you would want from a world class national weather bureau.  The model may be wrong - all models are - but the fact that the tidal surge arrives at high tide is no bueno for McDill.  I hope they are taking action, and I hope that people along the water are evacuating.

Lord Almighty, what a hurricane season.

5 comments:

chris said...

Stay safe. And evacuate! Keep us posted if you can but the most important thing is to keep you and your love ones safe!

ambisinistral said...

It's over both our houses. I'm high enough that hopefully the flooding isn't too bad, but mainly worry about the wind bringing trees down. Stay safe.

libertyman said...

My nephew is in St. Pete, I imagine they are in the same boat. Or will soon need one. Best wishes, to you the the QotW.

Matthew W said...

Good luck man !!!!

Jean said...

I saw way too many hurricanes in my 38 years of living there.
I still have friends in Central Florida that I'm worrying about.
Will add you and yours to the watch list. Good luck!