Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Operation after action report

So yesterday had the expected and the unexpected.  The procedure itself went smoothly - it was a Mohs surgery, where they shave off layers of skin and then have a pathologist analyze them under a microscope.  If there's cancer in the cells, then GOTO 1 and repeat.  Keep going until there's no cancer left.  Simples.

I assumed (correctly) that they'd numb my ear right up so I wouldn't feel a thing.  What I hadn't expected was that I would hear everything, up close and personal.  Scrapey-scrapey.  Then when they were done they cauterized the area, which kind of sounded like crackle-crackle.  And the whiff of black smoke that floated past and the smell of burnt barbecue just added to the whole experience.

Still, it's better than cancer.

My cancer was Squamous Cell Carcinoma, the middle (on the deadly scale) skin cancer.  The one you want if you get one is Basil Cell Carcinoma, which doesn't really spread.  The worst kind is melanoma.

I had noticed a bump on my ear that didn't go away.  I went to the dermatologist after a couple months because, well, it didn't seem like it was improving with age like a fine wine.  While I was there I pointed out various other bumps and blemishes which they were unconcerned with, but they told me that they weren't going to let me leave with the thing on my ear.  And so off it came.

A week later they called and said that the pathologist had determined squamous, and I had to come back in for Mohs.  And none of that waiting six months for the next open appointment slot, can I come in next week?

And so there I was yesterday.  Done and cancer free.

What was unexpected was how bad I felt yesterday when I got home.  Everything was out patient, and I drove myself.  But I kind of felt like I had been run over by a bus.  Probably it was something unrelated (summer cold) that happened at the same time.  Spent most of the afternoon in bed and crashed early, but feel pretty good now.

Lessons learned:

  1. Early detection is A Very Good Thing Indeed.  When something pops up on your skin and doesn't go away in a couple of weeks, go get it checked out.
  2. Wear a hat.  I've been in Florida for 4 years and do a lot of walking.  It's Florida for crying out loud.

23 comments:

SiGraybeard said...

Good to hear it was SCC and not worse. While I've never had it, I've known about that sequence since the '70s. A friend worked for a dermatologist and I got the talks back then. Started using sunscreen by about '76 and lived by the "put it on or get out of the sun by 10AM" rule. I was the only guy fishing offshore in a long-sleeved white dress shirt.

doubletrouble said...

Happy to hear (!) it worked out ok. I had the exact same diagnosis (SCC), but it was inside, on my neck. That required the radiation/chemo procedures. Cancer is gone, but nasty, long term effects from the fix.
Get a BIG hat…

Miguel GFZ said...

I had 2 basal carcinomas removed: nose and side of the neck. I learned that if could be done at night, I would do it or otherwise wear hats and sun screen.

Keep checking yourself every couple of years or if something looks funky

juvat said...

Glad things went well. Hope that stays that way.
juvat

Paul, Dammit! said...

Had the basal cell Moh's about a year ago. I can get a sunburn from the refrigerator light but have been sunburnt every year for the last 45 I think. Yes to hats. I have a nice boonie hat for swimming in the daytime, and am now a hat guy.

And welcome to the fine world of twice-yearly body scans where you get to have your doc and an inevitable pretty blonde medical student examine everywhere. EVERYWHERE. In a cold room.

Ritchie said...

So they arc welded your head. BTDT.

Borepatch said...

Ritchie, LOL

HMS Defiant said...

Glad to hear you got out of that one OK.
I've been wearing a boonie hat now since 1991.

Jess said...

I don't know what they deaden with for the surgery, but whatever it is, I feel like hammered crap after it's over. A long nap usually helps, but it takes me two days to feel up to speed.

OldAFSarge said...

Glad that things came out well!

Been wearing a hat since I went bald (a very long time ago). I spent too much time in the sun last week, even with SPF 50+ you can still burn.

Good news BP, stay on it!

Tree Mike said...


Tree Mike
Did that last month, it was inside corner of eye/nose. After the romoval, they had a nice young lady, plastic surgeon finish up to save my Hollywood, hero/handsome face.
Blue blocker wraps, cowboy hat or boonie hat and long sleeves, for the last 45 years. VA sees me twice a year. They always have something to freeze off.

Borepatch said...

Jess, it was Lidocane and something else. From El Wik on adverse reactions:

"CNS depression with increasingly heavier exposure: drowsiness, lethargy, slurred speech, hypoesthesia, confusion, disorientation, loss of consciousness, respiratory depression and apnoea."

Drowsiness and legarthy, 100%.

Old NFO said...

Glad to hear it was successful! And SCC is nothing to play with.

Nobody said...

Had 3 different MOHs done. The side of my nose was the most fun, 4 digs in total. They told me to let them know when the anesthetic wore off, but I wanted to see if I could take it. It hurt, but was not unbearable. Suffered through the 4th dig and stitching.

The real fun was walking through Walmart afterwards to get my pain meds and watching the kids stare at me and the moms recoiling in horror at the bandages and swelling.

Good times.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Glad to hear a successful conclusion, Borepatch. Prayers continued up.

GuardDuck said...

Glad to hear of the success. Fingers staying crossed.

Last month I had both ears, side of my head, and a part of my arm frozen to remove 'pre-cancerous' actinic keratosis'. In and out with an admonishment to use sunscreen and a big floppy hat on my bald head.

danielbarger said...

Dermatologists are unsung heros of medicine. Without them a lot more people would die from metastatic cancer. My wife has had 2 melanomas removed, 2 squamous removed and 3 months ago had a Mohs procedure for basal cell. It's not fun having skin cancer removed but its quick, simple and grants one a longer healthier life. Well worth the inconvenience.

drjim said...

Great news, BP!

libertyman said...

Been to the dermatologist a couple of times now for similar procedures. The doc used a double edge razor blade just like the ones you can buy at Walmart. Also cauterized, then some lumps and bumps hit with his freeze pen. I will see him again in a year and yes to early detection and action.
Good lab results for me, by the way, so I am glad I had it done.

Glen Filthie said...

Just as I suspected! Much ado about nothing! 😡 All a ruse, no doubt to get out of chores and housework!!! I’ve half a mind to rat you out to the Queen…

But it brings up something important, BP: Big Country and I got into a tiff over it… in the event of your untimely demise…who gets your M1 rifle? BC thinks he should get it but he has more guns than God. And as for me…I’m a poor old pensioner that’s worked hard all his life and has nought to show for it… if you could drop everything and clear this matter of your estate up…we’d certainly appreciate it.
😉👍

Borepatch said...

Glen, sorry but you can have my Garand when you pry it out of my cold dead hands ...

;-)

Peteforester said...

The hat... DEFINITELY! The Mexicans have the right idea with their "beaner hats." It's what all the field workers wear out here in the California desert when working outside; good ventilation and a huge brim. This Gringo has no shame in using one out by the barn. For use other than in "the back forty," I use a Barmah "Squashy Kangaroo Cooler" Aussie bush hat (model 1038); great ventilation, decent brim, and excellent durability. The thing is made from kangaroo leather though. It's great in the desert but might not be the best for goopy, humid areas.

Glen Filthie said...

I need a link for that hat, Pete! 👍