Friday, April 8, 2022

Epitaph for a dog

Murphy's Law has lost his German Shepherd, Memphis Belle.  He has a touching send off over at this place.

Blogger seems wedged, and so isn't letting me leave a comment over there so I'll put it up here.  Lord Byron's epitaph for his beloved Newfoundland, Bos'un, is justly famous and sums up our four footed friends better than any I've seen.  It seems Miss Belle's due.

Near this spot rest the remains of one who possessed
Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity
and all Man's virtues with none of his vices

He's had her nearly as long as I've had Wolfgang.  Alas, neither Time nor Tide wait for any man (or dog), and Wolfgang is showing signs of age as he approaches his tenth birthday next month.  Hail and farewell, Miss Belle.  If you don't mind I'd like to keep you waiting for Wolfgang a little while longer.

UPDATE 8 APRIL 2022 17:35:  Murphy, maybe she's collecting Mardi Gras beads with Oliver.  It seems that even Sandra Bullock gave him (Oliver, not Murphy) beads, which is insanely cool.  Anyone who never read that story, get you on over there toute suite.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Amen

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am.

But I too put away food and medicine for her to eat as well as I do.

Best I can do for a loyal buddy.

Borepatch said...

Amen indeed, Michael.

We see ourselves reflected in our dog's eyes not as we are, but as we would wish to be.

And yes, your Bug Out Bag should be ready for your four footed friend. Although I think that Murphy once said that his doggie BOB had a 100 round belt for an M60 ...

Jim M said...

You will see her again! We have rescued and adopted 20 Collies over the years. Their passing never gets any easier and the cemetery in the back 5 is getting full. A life without a dog is not a life but a living hell.

Art said...

https://youtu.be/Q7-PfzpQcJs

libertyman said...

I have liked the Power of the Dog by Kipling for years, and I see someone posted it there.

I like this short one too:

Four-Feet

I have done mostly what most men do,
And pushed it out of my mind;
But I can't forget, if I wanted to,
Four-Feet trotting behind.

Day after day, the whole day through --
Wherever my road inclined --
Four-feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.

Now I must go by some other round, --
Which I shall never find --
Somewhere that does not carry the sound
Of Four-Feet trotting behind.

ASM826 said...

I left a comment on our behalf.