- Greece looks like it will finally leave the Euro. This may participate a financial crisis as Greek government bonds are repudiated; almost all of these bonds are held by European banks.
- The Middle East is even more messed up than normal, with ISIS fighting pretty much everyone, Iran going nuclear, and Saudi Arabia likely already in possession of one or more nuclear weapons. Non-Proliferation has collapsed, and in the most unstable part of the globe.
- Vladimir Putin is threatening Ukraine, Poland, and the Baltic states. The "Reset" has been shown to be a joke.
- China has achieved something not seen for 70 years - the re-armament of Japan in response to aggressive Chinese moves in the South China Sea.
- The economy is stalling out (again, if indeed it has ever recovered from the Great Recession). Record numbers of Americans simply do not work.
Some people don't like a flag. And Bruce Jenner says that he's a woman.
A cynic would say that the frivolity is nothing but the Media trying to protect the Obama Administration from the results of their terrible policy choices. In which case, of what use is the Media? The truly terrifying alternative is that this merely reflects the decadence of this age of the Republic.
But all is well, Citizen. The Circuses are entertaining, and the Bread is free. And the Chocolate Ration has been increased from 3 ounces to 2.5 ounces ...