Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Jimmy Buffett - Who Gets to Live Like This

This is from his last album (#30!) which came out 3 years ago.  It (the album) debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200, making this his twelfth top 10 album.  The Queen Of The World loves the simple gratitude and humility that he expresses in the lyrics; I like that as well as how he uses steel drums in what would be his last of his trademark Caribbean-themed fun songs.


Who Gets To Live Like This (Songwriters: Jimmy Buffett, Mac McAnally, Lukas Nelson):

There are waves outside my window
There are airplanes in the sky
There are ships on the horizon
And a beach always nearby
Fish tacos on the table, no surfer can resist
How did I get this lucky?
Tell me who gets to live like this?
I left my inhibitions
Receding with the tide
Talking with the turtles
Lying side by side
Seeking wiser counsel on a girl I can't resist
Pass the seaweed salad
Tell me who gets to live like this?
Singin' for money, playin' for fun
How did I wind up in this band on the run?
Wake it up, make it up, shake it up, take it up
There's more ways than one
Jack of all trades, master of none
With fortune or without it
For paydays or for free
More latitudes than attitudes
More everyone and less me
Just knowing what is possible
Is the ring you don't want to miss
I'm happy to inform you
That we get to live like this
That we all get to live this
Live like this
Get to live like this
Get to live like this
Get to live like this
Get to live like this
Get to live like this

This isn't philosophy.  This isn't Deep Thinking.  But somehow I think that Marcus Aurelius looks down from Heaven and smiles.  While tapping his toes.

2 comments:

Glen Filthie said...

I always liked Jimmy too. He seemed to me to be a man ahead of his time who had no idea what it was he was supposed to be doing there, maybe? Like he won the rat race without running the course? Perhaps I misunderstand the man.

Others see him - and us boomers - differently.

https://voxday.net/2023/09/02/pol-celebrates-pillow-day/

I can kinda-sorta see how ol’ Voxxie comes to his conclusions. I don’t blame him for wanting to smother us with our pillows, our kids are reflections of ourselves and we have not been good parents or good kids as a generation. The hell of it is that as he grins as he presses the pillow down upon us… HIS kids will soon be fondly contemplating throwing HIM into a wood chipper! 😂

In the next life I am going to be a beach bum too.

libertyman said...

"the simple gratitude and humility that he expresses in the lyrics" very well said as I think he was amazed at what a life he could lead by singing his songs that so many could identify with.

He was a country boy who hit upon a common thread of escapism and the beach comber lifestyle that few could only imagine. RIP Jimmy Buffett you brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people.