Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Range trip (and Rib Roast) AAR

Range trip FAIL.

I took #2 Son and his friend to the range this afternoon.  It was packed.  Since I had joined the range, I got to use the "Members sign in here" line - sort of like flying with status!

Unfortunately, #2 Son's friend is not my son, nor am I his legal guardian.  Duh - should have thought of that.  Fortunately, mis mom was nearby doing "girl things", so we could link back up.  The boys could play X-Box until then.

So I called to make a reservation (it was busy).  We all went off there.

It was busy enough that we couldn't be three on a line - we needed two lanes.  No problem, they could get us two (I'm a member, right?).  So we went in.

So I'm with #2 Son, and he had the SKS loaded up ready to go, and the Range Safety Officer told him "Make your weapon safe and put it down, please."  The RSO had seen his stripper clips of 7.92x33mm, and was holding a magnet.  "Sorry, it's either steel core or steel jacket, you can't shoot that here."

Strike three.

#2 Son's friend had fun shooting my 1911, but that was about the only bright spot of our two trips to the range.  Oh, well, now we had a metric ton of commie ammo to shoot at the super secret range trip later this week.  And there's enough to share - No, really, shoot fifty rounds, or I'll have to post that you're a wuss ...

Sigh.

Oh, well, we had leftover rib roast, which means Yorkshire Pudding with #2 Son:

Pre-heat oven to 450° with a 10 inch cast iron skillet in it.

Meat ingredients:
2 rashers of bacon (dude, it's bacon)
fat trimmings from the roast, cut up
meat trimmings from the roast, cut into quarter inch cubes
half an onion, chopped
2 good handfuls of spinach, chopped coarsely
Dry ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
 Wet ingredients:
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
In a second skillet, fry the bacon and reserve.  Reduce the heat, add the roast fat and render the fat. Save the liquid, and remove the roasted fat bits for the pets.  Or to process for gunpowder or something.  Add the roast meat cubes, onion, and bacon to the skillet to warm over low heat.

Combine and mix the dry group.  In a separate bowl, combine and mix the wet group.

Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven - it should be hot like the Space Shuttle's engine.  Pour in the fat.  Combine the wet and dry bowls and mix until combined (do not over mix).  Pour into rocket-hot skillet, and bake for 15 minutes.

When you pull the yorkshire pudding from the oven after 15 minutes, toss the spinach onto the warm meat.  It will wilt in 60 seconds or so.

Cut into wedges, and serve the pudding topped with the meat/onion/spinach.

It tastes better if you have your teenage kid cut up the meat.  Well, it does.

6 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

The State-operated range I go to hasn't started restricting types or composition of ammo. Yet. I predict their membership will drop by 2/3 when/if it does.

The food sounds yummy. My dad's family was from Yorkshire, but I've not sampled the cuisine extensively. Perhaps it's time to follow up on that.

WV: amiredi. Yes; yes, I am.

Joe said...

Norinco is steel core ammunition. It is kind of hard on the backstops so I understand why they don't want people shooting it.

Norinco ammo was actually banned from importation a number of years back because Olympic Arms designed a pistol that shot 7.62x39. Importation of armor piercing ammo for pistols is not allowed so the supply was shut off.

doubletrouble said...

Where'sd you get an SKS that shoots 7.92x33mm? That's weird.

Sorry about the troubles, but look forward to seeing you guys later this week at the sooper secrit range...

DaddyBear said...

I believe I'm going to try out that recipe sometime.

I didn't discover my indoor range didn't allow steel cased or cored ammunition until after I'd bought 1000 rounds of 9mm Mak. Guess that's an excuse to use the outdoor range.

ASM826 said...

Bring it. Bring it all.

Jay G said...

You got an STG44? COOL!

:)