Huh:
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — The Florida Department of Transportation on Monday revoked all existing permits for automated license plate readers installed by local law enforcement in state highway rights-of-way and said it will stop approving any new installations, citing an “exponential increase” in deployments, reports of misuse, data privacy concerns and “surveillance schemes.”
The Engineering and Operations Memorandum, signed by Will Watts, P.E., FDOT’s chief operating officer and assistant secretary, directs local agencies to remove the devices within 30 days. If they do not, the department said it will take them down. FDOT reserved the right to immediately remove any unit that poses a safety hazard.
From my perspective, the biggest immediate problem with the Flock system is that it has a very weak authentication and audit system. This likely makes abuse of the system hard to find. And given the widespread abuse that has been reported, that makes you wonder just how much abuse is happening.
Sunlight is the best disinfectant, Flock. I mean, after all - if you don't have anything to hide, you don't have anything to worry about, amirite?
Well done, FLDOT.
I dunno, BP.
ReplyDeleteThe other day my wife narrowly escaped a potential trip to the hospital and possibly the morgue. She was stopped at an intersection waiting for the traffic to clear so she could turn. A rag headed pajeet was texting on his phone, ran a red light, sheared off the corner of the wife’s little Rav and spun her around 180 degrees.
The whole thing was caught on a dash cam. We now know the kebab was texting on his phone because the intersection cameras also caught it from their high vantage points. He’s up for close to a thousand bucks in fines right off the top - possibly more. His insurance is going up for sure. It’s becoming a big problem up here. The east indians are the worst: they can’t speak english, they get behind the wheel without understanding the rules of the road and they kill people. Often they lie and claim to have done nothing wrong afterwards.
And they are swarming into Canada and the USA by the millions. Add in the other denizens from low trust cultures and third world countries. In their countries, if you drop your guard, forget to lock something, or give them an opening - they will take advantage.
I know I don’t have to worry about white North Americans. But… these people from the third world? I’m sorry. I want eyes on them. 24/7/365. I’d like to have guns trained on them at all times too. Better yet I’d rather not have them here at all. But … the world is changing. Our countries are no longer our own. There are people here now that NEED big brother watching them all the time. For the record though… I don’t like any of this either.
I’ll understand if you delete this… but the realities are what they are.