Sunday, July 30, 2017

Digital With Commitment

I finished the slide scanning and have started into the prints.

Got out my seabag and found a stack of old orders going back to my initial orders to Parris Island. I had also kept one uniform, which I would now have to spend a year in a POW camp to wear. Some more pictures. A couple of military newspapers.

So I scanned what I wanted out of that, put all the paper back in the seabag, and threw all the slides in on top. The seabag was about half full.

Took the slide projector and empty carousels to the local Habitat Store. Threw away the uniform.

I could not bring myself to send the slides to the landfill. All those images, pictures of my life, my family, just sent out with the trash, was beyond me. But I was committed to let them go.

Last night in the rain, a good friend and I took the seabag out to the woods where there is a campfire ring. I could do that and it felt okay.


4 comments:

Murphy(AZ) said...

You're a better man than I, Sir. I've tried, but I can't bring myself to let go of so much. Sadly, there's not many people interested in keeping the stuff after I pas, so there's really no reason to keep it.

Borepatch said...

The pagan kings of the Dark Ages would pile a longship with me booty of a lifetime and burn it as a funeral pyre for the late king. It seems a fitting sendoff.

Will said...

Isn't there a fair amount of silver in negatives/slides?

Antibubba said...

I couldn't have done it. Formats change. And I can't throw anything away anyway.