Thursday, April 13, 2017

IoT Front Door Locks

If you have been here before you know Borepatch and I are screaming, "Nope! Nope! Nope!" at this latest offering from the Internet of Things. A front door lock assembly that can be locked or unlocked remotely through the web. It's the digital equivalent of putting the key under the mat.

There's no question of a hack, although it might not be necessary to hack the door lock, you might be able to unlock the house from a phone you pick up off the table in a coffee shop. The phone would not even need to be open.
"August locks provide keyless entry based on the Bluetooth. You can also configure your locks to lock the door after you leave the home. It senses when you approach the door and unlocks it automatically, no matter whether your phone is in your pocket, purse or a carry bag....Guests also need to install the application on mobile phones. Once guests have the application with the assigned rights from the owner, they can use it for opening the lock."

5 comments:

LindaG said...

I've seen the commercials on TV. How stupid.

But then I don't believe in storing my life on the 'Secure Cloud', either.

Anything that can be done on the internet can be hacked or stolen.

Jerry The Geek said...

I live in a duplex built in the '60s, in a small college town, and ny external security procedure is hiding my spare key under a rock.

But ... who would think of that? I envision some hoo-dad in his car in front of my house trying to whammy my electronic security, and I laugh.

Heck, half the time I forget to lock the door when I go to the store anyway.

Ted said...

When our home was broken into the bad guys used a large rock to break the glass in a sliding glass door. A much easier solution than hacking the front door locks.

Remember. If they were smart enough to be able to hack the door locks they probably wouldn't need to break in to homes!

SiGraybeard said...

One of the worst ideas in the history of ideas. When the script kiddies make a little app for every cellphone to open door locks and everyone can download it for free, we'll see how exclusive the club is.

One of the companies that makes those electronic doorbells, Ring or Skybell or someone, has a video of a guy walking up to the door and then lifting the doormat, apparently looking under it for a key.

Old NFO said...

Nope, nope and nope... No net connected appliances or HVAC either... sigh I DO use Ring doorbells front and back, and the video captured got turned over to the PD when I had a prowler while on the road. He was caught a week or so later.