Saturday, March 4, 2017

History in Pictures

Years ago I bought an old Nikon slide scanner in a junk shop. There's an epic tale of SCSI interface cards, adapter cables, and drivers that I went through to make work, but that's not today's story.

In the cardboard box with the scanner were a couple of slide trays full of someone's slides. Pictures of a trip to Europe sometime in the early 1960s. I don't know who the people are, but the photography was interesting. If I can find them, I will rescan them with better equipment.

I thought of those pictures today while reading an article about the French government's plan to encircle the Eiffel Tower with a wall "an aesthetic perimeter". Once in place, people wishing to walk around the area will have to submit to a search before being able to enter the aesthetic perimeter. Whatever this all looks like in the end, something is lost.

Here's how it looked under the Eiffel, once, long ago. I doubt that the French security personnel will be letting steam powered peanut carts through the gates in 2017.

 

You have to know the past to understand the present.
--Carl Sagan



3 comments:

Will said...

The French could use some historical reminders:

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/W-Berlin-Express-B.jpg

Will said...

More on that story:

http://www.uasvision.com/2014/01/09/wwii-pilot-who-flew-through-eiffel-tower/

Interesting comment on the French morale from witnessing that fight.

Unknown said...

In theory I've a slide scanner in a box in the garage, but my last search for drivers was fruitless -- and while there are a few slides that might make interesting and popular "throwback thursday" posts for the amusement of my friends, it hasn't been worth the trouble to scan then or get them scanned.

It just struck me that the blank-white of a white page on the computer screen is even and diffuse light, I could probably make a higher-resolution copy with my digital point-and-shoot camera set to "macro" and the slide balanced on the bottom edge of the LCD screen than I could get from my old scanner anyway.