Tuesday, January 3, 2017

New Year's Day

Car overheated coming home. Stopped and removed thermostat. Still running hot. Found an open auto parts store. Bought a water pump. Stopped in the parking lot of a boarded up 7-11 and got out the tools.

Disconnect the battery.
Remove the serpentine belt.
Remove the motor stabilizing arm and bracket.
Remove the alternator.
Remove the water pump pulley.

That gets you to the water pump.

Had all the tools I needed. Weather was good. No less than 6 people stopped to offer assistance. One was a local guy who was prepared to jump in and help, said he was in the middle of an engine swap in an old Jeep and he could do anything we needed including towing me to his shop. By the time he stopped I was almost finished and already had the serpentine belt back on. The job took me 3 1/2 hours.

The actual job starts at 2:30. I doubt any of you want to watch it, but the video shows the cramped space you have to work in with the motor mounted sideways.



Be Prepared. There was some luck in the day, the problem was something I could fix, I found an open store that had the part, but fortune favors the prepared.

7 comments:

STxAR said...

I've been in that very situation. Radiator sprung a leak on the road. Made it to our destination. Swapped radiator, then the power steering pump failed. Swapped it in the rain in an Autozone parking lot. Had the tools, and the gumption. Had to go back to work to rest up from THAT vacation.

Backwoods Engineer said...

Well done.

I've done very similar things:
1) a harmonic balancer swap on a Mopar 318 engine in the middle of nowhere in Kansas; and
2) a starter replacement on a Nissan Sentra in rural Oklahoma.

Both not at home in my own shop. And both were possible because I always carry mechanic's tools.

Arthur said...

That's actually a surprisingly easy fix.

I've owned cars that the general rule was, "When you replace the timing belt do the water pump as well since you'll have to pull off the front of the engine to do that anyway."

Old NFO said...

Never a water pump, knock on wood, but done a starter and three alternators... sigh... Glad it all worked out!

Goober said...

Where did you drain the antifreeze? Or do I want to know? :)

Weetabix said...

After watching the baby's supersuit subjected to flames and gunfire...

Helen: What on earth do you think the baby will be doing?

Edna: Well, I am sure I don't know, darling. Luck favors the prepared.

R.K. Brumbelow said...

On my older vehicles I switched to electric water pumps for this very reason. Seems like every time I drove through Van Wert co TX I had a water pump issue, as soon as I switched to an electric pump with a bypass that was easy to get to, I never had to replace it again. Thats the way it works right? Lol