Monday, October 17, 2016

Something You Can Do

Your prayers and thoughts are welcome, that goes without saying, although I did just say it. But if you want something you can do for my mother, I have a thing.


She was interested in politics. She was the daughter of a staunch conservative. Sure of what she believed in and doubly sure that she knew exactly where this handbasket was taking us. She didn't much like Trump, but she saw right through Hillary Clinton and planned to vote for Trump just as a check on the slide into the abyss she could see coming.

She grew up shooting, like to shoot trap in her younger days, and had an interest in the 2nd Amendment and shooting all her life. The last time she and my dad came to visit she wanted to go the range. She shot her dad's Colt Woodsman, which was also the first gun she had ever shot, back sometime in the late 1930s. She shot a .357 with some light .38 loads.

 And she shot this. Once she realized it was all looks and noise and no recoil, she had a lot of fun and she was putting them in the black with iron sights.

I could not have known it was going to be her last day shooting, but like so many, it was a good day.

So don't sit home. Go to the polls. Tell your friends.


Do it for Joanie.


Old NFO said...

Glad she had fun one last time... And I am...

JD said...

I will

The Mad Irishman said...

On your sad note I'd like to share with you and all the other readers, my father and me taking my son to the range this past summer for their only times together shooting. when I was a kid my parents ran a small range in their spare time and going there with my dad is what cemented the shooting sports and the second amendment in my young mind, I would spend countless hours shooting my Glenfield model 25 while my dad did improvements or I would spot for him while he did load development for his competition guns 7mm BR, 7mmTCU sometimes when he was done he would let me take a few shots with them (WOW I was a big kid at 10 shooting those cannons)Two years later I was in the matches as well (yes the first year was small bore) after that I was shooting IHMSA with the adults and holding my own (10th at the 1985 internationals at 14)I've a box full of awards but they don't matter. This year I finally got my dad and my son on the range at the same time, I've had my son out many times since he turned 6, but finally when he was 9 I got my dad to come with us. he hadn't shot in many years but was itching to and finally gave into my plea's and came with us. The chemistry was pure magic, it was like watching a young me all over again, the patience and the guidance was just what I remember. What sucks is in a few weeks or maybe months that will be gone. Fuck you cancer!!!!! I wish I could share some of the pictures with all of you but I don't know how to embed them in this comment or if it's even possible.