Sunday, August 7, 2016

Maybe a Mechanical Solution?

Does anyone remember The Club?

If you own a new Jeep, you should go buy one today.
"Two thieves in Houston stole more than 30 Jeeps by using a laptop and a stolen database. The thieves simply looked up the vehicles' VIN numbers in a stolen database, reprogrammed a generic key fob, started the cars, and drove away. Chrysler has confirmed that more than 100 of their vehicles have been stolen in the Houston area since November. The whole process takes roughly 6 minutes"

6 comments:

burt said...

Low-tech solution for a hi-tech problem.

It figures...

Atom Smasher said...

I just got my billionth SAFETY RECALL for my 2012. Sun visor again - nothing about remote control. I love my Grand Cherokees, but how do you Eff up a sun visor......?!?!!??!?

Jerry The Geek said...

I'm very happy with my 1998 vehicle, thank you. It's as dumb as a car can be and still have electronic verification interlocks on the ignition key.

Roy said...

A few years ago I got a recall on my Dodge Caravan about sun visors. They screwed up that stupid airbag label. They replaced both sun visor assemblies because of it. I was tempted to just ignore the recall but it was a company vehicle and fleet frowns on that.

jon spencer said...

Two ways that the Club was defeated.
A small bolt cutter cuts a gap the steering wheel where the Club is hooked up.
When the Club first came out a can of refrigerant sprayed on the lock and then hit with a hammer would shatter the lock.

More than one thief left the Club in the spot where the car was parked.

Now if vehicles came equipped with a Trunk Monkey, then thefts might go down.

Rick C said...

My car, a Kia Sedona, says you have to have two keys available to be able to program a new one. I wonder if Chrysler doesn't have the same feature, or if Kia was making it up.