Friday, April 8, 2016

Bruce Springsteen Cancels a Concert on Short Notice

Two days before we were going to see Bruce Springsteen in Greensboro, he decided to cancel the concert to protest the North Carolina Legislature and Governor and legislation they passed.

Except that his actions didn't hurt the Governor or the Legislature. They hurt us.

We lost a son to suicide in November. His birthday is next week. This was going to be a small gathering of the family, to go see a concert, to remember Mike, be together, and make what we could out of it. I haven't looked forward to much, but I was looking forward to this.

Now it's canceled. We're not even going to all get together this weekend.

He's promising everyone will get their tickets refunded. If Bruce or anyone that works for his organization is surfing the web and reads this, don't kid yourselves. The money does not make this right. This was a one time chance for a lot of us and you canceled two days before the event.

You could have done the concert and donated the money to LGBT political causes. You could have refused to schedule any future events in North Carolina and honored the commitment you had already made. You could have handled this in a way that didn't just screw your fans.

Just to add to the loss, I don't think I will ever enjoy your music again.

Update from the comments for the win: It's a shame that Springsteen doesn't sell cakes or you could sue him for refusing you service.


burt said...

I'm sorry for your lost opportunity to spend time with your family, especially now and especially for the reasons you stated.

Springsteen's unnecessary action is just another case of the insensitivity shown to some by those claiming to be sensitive to others.

Glen Filthie said...

Springsteen is one of those men that - outside his music - is complete moral and intellectual write off.

If it's any consolation, ASM, he isn't out to get you. He's after guys like me. Five years ago my daughter announced that she was a militant gay social justice warrior and that she and her creepy girl friend were going to re-invent and redefine my family. They would tell the rest of us what we could say and think, we would all have to bow down to them and celebrate their sexuality - and unless they decided to let me out- I was to stay in the closet they just got out of. When I politely told them to get stuffed, my daughter broke off all contact with the family. I kinda lost my kid too, I suppose.

But that is the way these turds roll. You can either agree or concur with them and that's it. Any disagreement is seen as intolerance and won't be tolerated. Springsteen doesn't care how many regular folks like you he hurts, all that matters is that he gives that finger to guys like me in the strongest terms possible. I will not be pressured or bullied by people like Springsteen because I know what they are.

I'm sorry you got caught in the middle of it.

Murphy's Law said...

Fuck Bruce Springsteen. He got his money and promptly turned his back on the fans that made him what he is.

Guffaw in AZ said...

I am sorry for your loss, and your lost opportunity.
Such is the way of capitalism - 'they' have a right not to provide goods and services, and we have a right not to partake of them.
Or something...
Another limousine liberal trying to force an agenda.


LSP said...

Very sorry for your loss. Prayers.

mycrofth4 said...

It's a shame that Springsteen doesn't sell cakes or you could sue him for refusing you service.

matism said...

I hate to break this to you, but unless you are a Preferred Species, you COULD NOT sue him for refusing you service. Are you STILL that unfamiliar with how the "Legal" system in this country works today???