Monday, April 11, 2016

Book Recommendation

I am reading a book I would like to recommend to you. It is The Thing You Think You Cannot Do: Thirty Truths about Fear and Courage.

It's by Gordon Livingston. He's a psychiatrist and author. He graduated from West Point, served in Vietnam, and although I did not know it when I started reading the book, he lost an adult son to suicide and a child to leukemia in the same year.

It is about living a life with courage and what that means. I don't agree with everything he says, but I agree wholeheartedly with his main premise:
 "The best psychological antidote turns out to be some combination of hope and courage. How these virtues are acquired, manifested, and taught are at the core of this book. It is not easy to live a courageous life, and no one is brave all the time or in every circumstance."

 

2 comments:

armedlaughing said...

Sounds like good stuff. Having suffered a number of losses, I have found that finding gratitude for the people and things I continue to have is very helpful. And I've been told it takes bravery to do that.

gfa

Randall said...

Many years ago I read a book called "Feel the fear and do it anyway". Made a difference.