Saturday, March 19, 2016

Range Report

One of the calibers I had not reloaded was .45 Colt. I had the dies. Even had cast some 245 gr. Elmer Keith bullets. Just always seemed to be doing other things. With other things caught up, it was time.

According to my manual, this is a moderate load for this powder and the 245 grain bullet. I only made up a few as it was a new load and if there is some reason you need to make corrections, there is nothing more useless than dozens or hundreds of rounds you don't want to shoot.

It hit slightly high, I think it's running a couple of hundred feet per second faster than .45ACP does out of the same gun.

But I'll take it. Anytime you get 6 rounds touching at 50 feet, you're doing something right on the reloading bench. I am going to load the rest of the cases I have prepped just the same way and make another visit to the range.


8 comments:

libertyman said...

What did you use for powder? Looks like a great load!

ASM826 said...

Alliant 2400

Tony Tsquared said...

Nice shooting.

Bob said...

Got a pic of the gun and gunleather?

lee n. field said...

very satisfying.

I should get me a single action .45.

Nosmo King said...

It hit slightly high, I think it's running a couple of hundred feet per second faster than .45ACP does out of the same gun.

Uh, no. I wouldn't rule out that the above is two distinct, and different, sentences separated by a comma rather than a period, but if it's intended to be one sentence with one relative subordinate clause, it's wrong.

Slower bullets hit high, faster bullets hit low because recoil. During recoil the muzzle elevates, describing an arc; faster bullets, having less barrel dwell time, exit the muzzle lower in the arc thus striking the target lower. Slower bullets exit higher in the arc, striking the target higher.

Unless you're working at the higher end of chamber pressures, I would expect .45 Colt loads to be slower than .45 ACP loads, especially since you're using a 245 grain projectile in the Colt and probably no more than a 230 grain projectile in the ACP. Lead bullets (properly sized for the bore diameter) are faster than jacketed with the same powder charge due to less friction in the barrel, but not so much faster that there should be a large delta, especially with a 6% weight difference (230 vs 245). There's no substitute for a decent chronograph during load development because not only does it show absolute velocity, it will report velocity variances between rounds; velocity consistency (low Sd) is a hallmark of a good load.

libertyman said...

Thanks, now I notice you wrote the load on the target, (blush).

Tim Benner said...

Great stuff. been years since i was shooting pistols with my friend Jack Ganzel.
I would say your drank a little heavy on the coffee that morning.
A tad bit high and outside may be due to the caffine. LOL