Sunday, December 27, 2015

The Smell of Christmas

There are any number of things that can trigger a memory of childhood Christmas. It might be the pine smell of the Christmas tree that you remember as a child. The way the closets smelled at your grandparents house. The sweet smell of pipe smoke from a blend your dad used.

For me, it's sugar cookies baking. That smell takes me back, I can see the house and the decorations, remember being six years old and just about split in half with anticipation. We made some this week and in the midst of all that is happening in 2015, they still worked their magic.


3 comments:

libertyman said...

This goes along nicely with the warning to the right : "Notice of Cookies".

Old NFO said...

I remember the cinnamon rolls... sigh...

Ken said...

This year my younger son handled the icing and sugar detail. My older boy was at work (the local ice rink), but he made a batch of chocolate thumbprints with candy cane kisses the night before. I did my usual Magyar kalacs and kifli.