Friday, November 6, 2015


I don't want to just drop a bombshell and then disappear, so here's what I have to share at the moment. I'm pretty raw, sleep in two hour sets, and not trying to do anything but ride this wave that has washed over me. I don't know what to share, what to keep private.

Michael was 30. He had gotten into whitewater kayaking years ago and had many friends in that community. He had, like all my kids, grown into being an amazing person. Every parent thinks that, but here's a few of many comments I have received from his friends in the last two days. Name and places edited for privacy.

I had the most utter pleasure to work with Michael at ******* where we would regularly cut up and have the best time. When we were dead with no customers we would turn the satellite radio up as high as possible and sing at the top of our lungs. I was going through a lot of grief in school and with personal issues and he was always quick to "turn my frown upside down" with some quick wit and banter. I truly adored him. He was one of those people you meet in life and know if you went 10 years without seeing or talking to each other you could just pick back up. I am so sorry for your loss, you created one hell of an amazing man. I don't know what happened but do know that he lived the fullest life and full of love especially for his family. Is there a donation I could make in his honor or something that can help you all? Sending love and good vibes to you and family and friends.

Hi, you and I met long ago one summer that Michael worked at Camp ***** and we came to visit one weekend together. I am so terribly sorry to hear of his passing and wanted to pass along my condolences. While Michael and I have not intentionally kept in touch over the years, we have run into each other on occasion and my memories with him are nothing short of wonderful! I am sure you are inundated with people contacting you, so please do not feel obligated to respond to me by any means. I was wondering if you could provide any additional info about his passing and, when details are available, if you could please share info about a memorial service? My heart is hurting for your family and please know he was loved by so many people from all over. Your family is in my thoughts.

Hi -
My name is Emma. I was close friends with Mike some time ago. I've just learned of Michael's passing and wanted to reach out. Mike is one of my favorite friends that I met during my time at **** and I am so, so sad to hear the news of his death. He could always make me smile. He constantly made me laugh to the point of tears. I have incredible memories from the time I spent with your son. He was a great friend.
You and your family are in my thoughts. I would love to send flowers or memorials for anything you have planned. I will look out for details.
My deepest sympathies, Emma

I'm sorry to hear about Michael. He was one of my favorite people to paddle with. I was just thinking about our last green lap together, and his laughter on the shuttle ride with our shenanigans. Please let me know when the memorial service will be, and I'll spread the word to the river folk. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, in truly sorry.


Phil said...

You have my deepest and most sincere condolences, I can't begin to imagine what a nightmare you re living right now.
May the good Lord comfort you and your family.

Chickenmom said...

So, so sorry for your loss and pain. May you find comfort in knowing how much joy he gave to his family and friends.

Guffaw in AZ said...

I AM sorry for your loss.
There is nothing more I can say...


Old NFO said...

Thoughts and prayers my friend. said...

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what your family is going through right now. We'll be keeping y'all in our thoughts and prayers.