Sunday, August 30, 2015

Found Something In The Woods Today

I was out cutting what will be the last load of wood I need for this winter. It's always a good feeling to have the wood stacked. Every year I wonder if I can still do it with a saw and a splitting maul. I don't know how many more years I have, but at least this year, I still had it.

While walking around the woods, looking at the signs of summer ending, I noticed this stump. It was a couple of hundred yards from where the truck was, but I went back out and got the saw. Here's what it looked like on the truck. Next weekend I will split and cut this into very small pieces. It will probably be enough to start every fire we have this winter. I'll take some shavings and put them in a pill bottle in the bottom of my pack, too.


3 comments:

drjim said...

Is that what's called "fatwood", the stuff you can use to start other fires?

Mike said...

That's exactly what that is; Jawja fatwood, such as it is, LOADED with sap, it will burn like a candle. Thought it was mostly gone....

Old NFO said...

Oh man, that's a LOT of fat lighter! :-) Nice find!!!