Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Under The Knife

Not me, at least not this time.

A friend of mine in Atlanta went in for prostate removal. He's in his early 50s. Surgery, then radiation, best prognosis is a month or two to being continent, out of work for three months, six months to resume normal activities.

He's in my thoughts today.


Dan said...


Borepatch said...

Damn. Best wishes for him.

Old NFO said...

Thoughts and prayers. That sucks!

Sherm said...

I suspect things will pan out differently. He'll be wanting to go back to work within a month. Continence is a open question. I took six weeks, some take a year.
Radiation, while draining for some, may not bother him at all. I just took an hour out of my work day for the radiation. A friend had to take a nap every time to help him recover.
Healingwell.com has a prostate cancer forum that can prove useful.

lee n. field said...

Best prognosis for continence -- it can take quite a bit longer than that. Radiation will screw with that as well.

There's a lot of different ways prostate cancer can go. I had mine out last Sept. PSA didn't go to zero, started rising again. Now, I'm undergoing a course of radiation. "60 to 65 percent" chance that will fix it. After that...?

And Lupron is no fun at all.