Thursday, July 9, 2015

So Why Heat With Wood?

 Nosmo King, in the comments, anticipated my next post. I would have used more words, but I would not have said it as well:
"I remember sitting in my chair very late at night, sock feet on the hearth, dogs asleep alongside my chair, the cat asleep in my lap, watching it snow through the sliding doors, sipping single malt. A few nights like that tend to make one forget the personal abuse involved in keeping the stove fed."
 Here's a picture I took in December of 2013.


4 comments:

R.K. Brumbelow said...

If you do not alredy have a stove, buy one used ... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/01/07/epa-proposes-new-restrictions-for-new-wood-stoves/

Steve said...

I imagine the cost of a non-EPA approved used woodstove pretty much exceeds the cost (easily) of a new EPA approved woodstove.
Fucking government. WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!, because Bubba in North Carolina heats with a woodstove.
Fucking government. (Yeah, I repeat myself - and feel good doing it.)

libertyman said...

The main reason I bought my condo in 1988 was that it had a wood stove. Six years later i put in a propane stove that looks like a wood stove with the visible flames and no firewood. It was the smartest thing I did there as I could look at the cheery fire while running it with a thermostat. I will do the same here at my new house, as last winter firewood was hard to get, and hard to get to.

Paul Bonneau said...

Woodstove is great if you have a wood lot along with it. It was a great comfort to us when the electricity went down and we didn't care much. House stayed warm just fine. Also when the temp went way down and the heat pump was getting pretty inefficient, we would just turn it off and heat with wood.