Sunday, July 19, 2015


I was thinking of SSgt. Wyatt and what I have learned about his life.

When you think of Scouting, you usually think of a group of boys hiking, cooking on an open fire, pitching a tent, or learning to tie knots. And Scouting encompasses those things. But Scouting is more. It is a means for a young man to learn leadership, to prepare for being an adult. It teaches real lessons about honor, trust, and responsibility. Camping is just the vehicle that Scouting uses.

My sons were all Scouts. They did not all become Eagle Scouts, and they were not perfect Scouts. Making every boy an Eagle Scout is not the point of the program, and no boy is perfect. The point is to give every boy the skills to master himself, make decisions, and learn some outdoor skills in the process. Done right, it’s a lot of fun, too.

Being a volunteer leader for a Scout Troop was, outside of my family, one of the most meaningful thing I have done in my life. The other people I worked with, and the Scouts I watched go through the program, are, on the whole, some of the best people I know. Part of that is the type of person drawn to Scouting, and part of it is how Scouting effects those who participate.

Scouting stands for what is best about us. The Scout Law, applied by each of us, would solve most of the problems we face.
A Scout is; trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.
–The Scout Law


Guffaw in AZ said...

I wish I could have been a Boy Scout. I was a Cub for a year, then, the den mother moved and no provision was made to pick up the slack. By the Pack or my parents.
But, I honor them by being as prepared as I can be!


NotClauswitz said...

That's one of the few things I memorized correctly! I only made it to First Class, my dad was the youngest Eagle Scout in the County at the time he made it - back in '41 or so, picture in the paper and all.