Saturday, July 25, 2015

Range Time

This is 30.06, specifically it's my reloads with 168 Sierra boat tails and IMR4895, shot through a Remington 700. Range is 100 yards, the X ring on this target is 1".


I can't complain, I suppose. Even the "flyer" breaks the line on the ten ring. But the first 3 are in the X. This is the first group. I did it again, and so did a friend I was shooting with. When I shot 3 rounds, they stayed knotted up.

Maybe the barrel is heating up, maybe I just can't stay focused for more than 3 shots.


6 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Very nice, and great selection of rifle, caliber and components.

B said...

Free float the barrel. Or you got a stock rub somewhere. I have one that does that after 5. Sometimes it is just the barrel too. Shoot slower?

STxAR said...

Those are my favourite numbers: .30-06, 168 gr, IMR4895. Excellent recipe.

Old NFO said...

It's the heat. Anymore than three rounds and the flex starts to 'throw' rounds...

Comrade Misfit said...

Guess it could be a lot of things. Nice shooting rifle.

Paul Bonneau said...

If you know for a fact the last shot was the flyer, it may be flinch developing or barrel heating, just as you suggest.

My nephew bought a .30-06 rifle. It was a mistake, because he just can't get past the recoil. Ball and dummy trips him up every time. I think he should have started hunting with something a bit milder. You don't need .30-06 to kill a deer.