Thursday, July 16, 2015

From The Comments...

 Genericviews* left the following in response to the discussion in the comments on my post about vaccination. I picked this because this is a reasoned, nuanced, point of view and it made me think. What was a quickly tossed off post by me is nowhere near as interesting as what everyone had to say and the different points shared in the comments.
 "I didn't say parents were the best arbiters. I said they should be the final arbiters. Even if they are stupid. Even if they are evil or wicked. For me this is not some libertarian bullshit. IT is about a society that is sensible and has established laws derived from principle, not just the whims of judges and changing fashions. Parents exercise the rights of children on their behalf (to self defense for example). If they do it poorly, then the child suffers. This is an inescapable fact of life all over the world. I am just applying it to vaccines.

I don't care about other people's children as much as other people do. The world is a big place and there are a whole lot of children suffering in it. Not my problem. My problem starts when some do-gooder in NY city decides that since some crack baby from Guatemala didn't get Polio vaccine, my kid MUST get the new HIV/Herpes/HEPc vaccine, without regard to that vaccine being proven safe and effective and without regard to my child's actual risk of contracting any of those diseases.

That said, I am not an anti-vaxer. I am pro-liberty, and the right of parents to makes important choices for their kids is the most important liberty. I am perfectly fine with you deciding for yourself that your kids should be early adopters and get every new injection that comes along. But I reject your "right" to increase the risk on my kids to manage the risk on yours."
*Added to the blogroll after a visit to his site


genericviews said...

Thanks for the love.

abnormalist said...

My issue with the choice to not vaccinate comes from those who chose not to vaccinate from highly contagious diseases, not the latest/greatest HPV/Hep C/whatever, but standard established polio, DTaP*, MMR**, items that have been around for 50 years and are well established.

And really, most of the time I don't have issues if people want to allow their kids to get sick, and possibly die from contagious diseases of the third world, I care when they have their little disease factories around my littlest who is too young yet to get all her major vaccinations.

I'm telling you this as a dad who was stuck as an adult in the same waiting room as a 6 year old with whooping cough***, being thankful that I didnt have my 4 month old baby with me, and worrying if I needed to dive into some type of decontamination when I got home.

*DTaP == Diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus
**MMR == Mumps, measles, rubella
*** I dont know for an abolute fact, but it has a horrible sound to it, and it was at the same time that this ( was news, so I rank the odds as high