Sunday, June 21, 2015

Trail Journals

I've never had the chance to hike for weeks or months. I still harbor a dream of trying a long hike when I retire. Whether that ever happens is still some years away.

In the meantime, I found this website a few years ago. It's called Trail Journals. It's a site for people to post their trail diary entries for families and friends to follow. There are journals from hikers on many different trails, the Appalachian, the Pacific Crest, the Long Trail, and more.

Every year I pick a hiker on the Appalachian, deliberately reading the opening entries in a number of journals, and I follow one of  them. I look for someone with the ability to write, to tell their story, and for someone who looks like they are in it for the long haul. This year I am following a hiker with the trail name Dirt Time.

He's past the Delaware Water Gap and into New Jersey. He is 1300 miles into a hike that he started on the last day of February. I'm rooting for him to make it to Maine.


9 comments:

Hat Trick said...

If you haven't read it yet, I recommend A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. It is the often hilariously told story of his experience on the AT.

Bob said...

+1 to A Walk In the Woods. It's one of blogger Ann Althouse's favorite books. I found it ok, good but not great.

A good movie about a long walk is The Way, produced and directed by Emilio Estevez and starring his father, Martin Sheen, as a father whose son dies during a hike along the ancient pilgrimage route to the shrine of St. James in northern Spain, the Camino de Santiago. The movie details the father's decision to carry his son's ashes to St. James, walking along with other pilgrims who are making the same journey. It is a warm, gentle movie of gorgeous countryside and boon companions. Well worth watching.

kx59 said...

+2 on "A Walk in the Woods". This post brought it to my mind immediately. It made me laugh quite a bit. It also brought to mind Patrick McManus' short story "The Big Trip"
If you are very fit and an avid hiker, you may not be able to relate to A Walk In the Woods. However, I made the mistake of venturing on a hiking / camping trip in the Chisos Mountains with a bunch of marathon runners. I was not a marathon runner.
I did not know knees could hurt that much until that point in time.

ProudHillbilly said...

Having done the backpacking thing that but was laugh out loud funny.

ProudHillbilly said...

Yes. Some of my friends have done that and I'm wondering if I can.

ProudHillbilly said...

Laughed out loud. And remembered groin pull and massive blisters and carrying "Fellowship of the Rings" because, hey, hobbits did big walks...

ProudHillbilly said...

Laughed out loud. And remembered groin pull and massive blisters and carrying "Fellowship of the Rings" because, hey, hobbits did big walks...

ProudHillbilly said...

Yes. Some of my friends have done that and I'm wondering if I can.

ProudHillbilly said...

Having done the backpacking thing that but was laugh out loud funny.