Thursday, March 5, 2015

One Man's Reloading

Straight Forward in a Crooked World put up a in-depth post about the calibers he reloads and why. Every reloader make decisions. How many calibers, how many different loads, how many presses, powders, projectiles,...? His choices are thought out and worth the time to read about.

I have avoided buying rifles in calibers I don't already have. I started with a 1903A3 and now have four rifles in 30.06, but don't own any other .30 caliber rifles such as .308 or .300 WinMag. I have kept my caliber choices to a minimum to avoid the added complexity it creates on the reloading bench.

It will creep up on you. You start with one single stage press, 3 or 4 die sets and a couple of cans of powder. Turn around and it looks like this (no, this isn't mine, I just like it).

9 comments:

Samuel Gonzalez said...

Better buy up all the amo you can before Obama takes it all away.

Blog roll exchange?

http://www.thelasttradition.com/

NotClauswitz said...

The four red ones, that's not your usual Hornday or RCBS set-up, those are some of the Olde Masters...

ASM826 said...

NotC,

The 4 red ones are all old shotgun presses. Dual tubes for powder and shot and you can see the hulls on the base.

Ratus said...

That pic is Fudd-tastic!

Old NFO said...

Nice set up, and expensive, but I'm betting he shoots as much as he reloads!

drjim said...

I can do 30-06 for my Garand, 30-30 for my Marlin 336, 357 for my wife's TRR-8 revolver and Marlin 1894 carbine, and 45SCP.

I've also got the dies and ancillaries for 40 S&W and 308, but none of the components to assemble loads.

abnormalist said...

I've got the stuff for 45 ACP one load for the pistols and carbine, stuff for 44 mag (four loads, from kid level, to loaded for bear) for revolver and lever gun, and the stuff for my 30 remington cause you cant buy new ammo for it.

Eventually I'm adding 223 and 308, but for now I dont shoot enough in either to justify it, and steel case ammo is so cheap in 223, that its pushing that back farther...

Paul Bonneau said...

I hear ya. I've been trying to get out of cartridges for years.

It is good to minimize *calibers* as well as *cartridges*. I have lots of .308 and a couple of .300 WSM - but that's only one stock of .30 caliber bullets.

Anybody just starting out can get it all done with 9mm, .223 and .308, just like the military does. Boring, but sensible.

I don't even shoot my one gun in 7-30 Waters, or my .357 Maximum. But I will never part with my 6.5 TCU, no matter how esoteric. Gotta have some spice after all.

Jon Moore said...

Yep, I recognize every one of them. Can't believe there isn't a C-H Pistol Champ in the lineup