Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Pegging the Meter

Guns don't stop sexual assaults, at least according to the USAToday column published today. I'm not sure what this based on and unsure how it would change the 2nd Amendment even if it were true. But my first thought was that if your firearm didn't prevent you being sexually assaulted, you aren't using it correctly.

It's true enough on reflection. A gun is a tool. It sits in a safe or a holster until used for whatever purpose. A well trained, determined, sober, alert woman with a loaded firearm and the will to use it is not going to be anyone's victim.

A drunk coed in the upstairs of a frat with a guy she met two hours ago is at the mercy and whim of the man she is with. The fact that she owns a firearm, currently in the closet of her apartment ten blocks away, doesn't have anything to do with the situation she has put herself in.

As far as "allowing" guns on campus, which was the real point of the article, there are plenty of guns (and other weapons) on college campuses. The penalties for getting caught with one can be severe, but that doesn't mean some people don't have them. Honest people see those rules as important and follow them. Criminals just see those rules as creating a pasture where they can pick their victims without any personal risk.

8 comments:

deadmandance said...

My school in MT had a gun safe in the dorms...

Matt W said...

From the end of the opinion piece: "But allowing guns on campus will only create more problems."

I bet one of those problems he is concerned with is having to keep a stock of clean underwear on hand if he had to continue to work at a college that allowed concealed carry.

Goober said...

Right Matt. The old "blood will run in the streets" BS. Amazingly enough, no matter how many times they warn if it, it never quite seems to actually happen. Must be frustrating for them, right? :)

Goober said...

Right Matt. The old "blood will run in the streets" BS. Amazingly enough, no matter how many times they warn if it, it never quite seems to actually happen. Must be frustrating for them, right? :)

Old NFO said...

I kept a gun in my locker in the Freshman dorm... Of course that was in the late 60's and in the South...

R.K. Brumbelow said...

TBCH I am uncertain what percentage of 'Sexual Assault' is actually just morning after regret. I do know a large percentage, 90% on college campuses, of victims knew their assailant.

Combine those two statements together and then it becomes clearer why guns do not, by and large, prevent sexual assault.

Now you guys may like to get into some kink, but personally I tend to not 'get freaky' while wearing my CC rig. In fact I do not tend to CC at home, maybe that is bad practice (not ccing at home, still not going to cc when in my birthday suite)

There are far to many sexual assaults (hell, 1 is too many) where the intention of action is assault, but there are also many where person A wants to go have 'fun' with person B (who may or may not have been known at the beginning of the evening) adult beverages/ lack of sound judgement become(s) involved, and the situation goes further than at least one of the parties intended/ would have in other circumstances. To me, this is far more like I go get drunk, sit down at a poker table and lose money, then claim the next day I was robbed because were I sober I would never have consented to play poker with them. Was I taken advantage of? Possibly. Was it wrong? Likely. Was it illegal? In most states I suspect so. Was it robbery? No.

Goober said...

I don't really understand why it even matters anyway. They are framing this as if we need to justify to them why they should allow us to carry a gun.

It doesn't work that way, and we need to be vigilant about letting them spin the discussion like this, so as to put us on the defensive.

ASM826 said...

Goober,

That is exactly how they are framing it. I was ignoring that and focusing on the idea that a gun was nothing but an odd shaped lump of metal without the will to use it and the training to use it effectively.