Wednesday, December 3, 2014

One Problem Isolated

The issue I was having with the .45ACP ammo last Saturday was with the ammo itself. Randomly, the primers do not ignite. Maybe 5 or 6 out of a hundred. Problem is there with a Ruger Blackhawk too, so it's not something about the 1911. I made boxes of ammo using that lot of primers.

Also took some from a different batch of reloads and fired a hundred of them out of the 1911 and they all ran fine.

Here's a target from today. This was 3 magazines, 24 rounds. fired strong hand at 8 yards. There had been a small shoot-n-see target in the middle of the plate but at some point it went through the plate in tatters.

This means I have a lot of practice ammo, not an altogether bad thing when you think about it.


B said...

THis is why I was so surprised to have you having had a mainspring failure. Almost never happens.

ASM826 said...

Yes, even though the mainspring had clearly been cut off a couple of coils (and NOT by me), that was not the problem.

Arthur said...

What brand of primers and how old were they?

Bad primers are one gun problem I haven't run into yet.

ASM826 said...

They are Wolf primers I bought in part of a group buy 3? 4? years ago.

I have a preference for CCI primers because they seem to feed in the primer system on my press, so the Wolf primers sat on the shelf.

David aka True Blue Sam said...

Malfs are tiring, but it's darn good practice.

Weetabix said...

Good for tap and rack drills, I suppose.

lee n. field said...

Trouble with .45 ACP primers igniting. Interesting.

I'm having a similar issue. Throught it was the gun (Bersa 45 UC) for a long while, but my Ruger P90 does it too. Something in my technique is faulty, in that primers don't always get seated as they ought.