Friday, November 28, 2014

Lileks, The Bleat, and The Institute of Official Cheer

 I should have already added to the blogroll. He has a website full of all sorts of things that make it hard to describe. It has an element of humor, a lot of it is old ads, travel pictures, cookbooks, matchbook covers, etc. all with commentary that gives a sense of the absurd. For example, here's an ad campaign for Sunbeam bread from the 1940s.

The Gobbler, the promotional materials for a groovy motel from the 1960s, is another winner.

The best of all is The Gallery of Regrettable Food. Pictures and comments from Mr. Liliks. Start with Meat, Meat, MEAT! and remember, vegetables are for commies.

I bring up James because I just discovered he writes a newspaper column now. Featured in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, here's his latest, Black Friday Tips and Tricks. It's Q&A to help you get through the madness of the day. Here's one:
Q: If the media reports that Black Friday sales were less than the previous year, should I be afraid?
A: Yes. The entire consumer culture lives or dies by the next few weeks, but don’t worry. If there’s a story about a “slow start” to the shopping season, there’ll be a story about “Last Minute Bargains Lure Shoppers” and made the “cash registers ring.” Then there’s the post-holiday sales, which will have even better bargains. It’s almost as if they have this planned in advance.
Stay out of the stores. I have the day off. I am going to the range this afternoon and to the dojo later this evening. 


Old NFO said...

I get to deal with TSA... Oh *&^&%^$ joy....

Borepatch said...

Lileks is hilarious.

Tacitus2 said...

My "Bleatnik" party registration number is very low digit. A Daily Must Read for a long, long time.

Probably the hardest working man in cyberspace.


EMS Artifact said...

I used to read Lileks just about every day, but for some unknown reason, I stopped.

Thanks for the reminder.