Tuesday, November 4, 2014

In The Case Feeder

I'm hoping for an steady stream of .45ACP cases. Perhaps if I was fully invested in checking every case, or only used new brass, I could make that happen. What I get is hundreds of .45ACP, occasionally punctuated by a .40 or a 9mm nested inside one of the .45ACP cases. This results in a stoppage in the case feeder and requires opening up the case feeder in one manner or another to get the case out.

Okay, I should be more attentive. Just grabbing cases by the handful out of a large tub of tumbled brass gives me the results I deserve. 

I can add a new problem that reared it's head twice this week. One that is harder to catch. .45GAP. It's shorter. So when it drops into the final position in the feeder, it allows the next case to come down too far. It stops the whole operation because the case that is still in the tube is partially in front of the case pusher. Another thing to watch for. I'm guessing they got mixed in when I was policing up my brass at the range. 


6 comments:

Steve Diaz said...

Sorry to say " I told you so , but Garbage in = Garbage out"

To reload on a progressive press means you have to sort out any potential problems before the first pull on the handle.

Or just resign yourself to fixing the issues one at a time...

And by the way I have the same issues..range brass is a crapshoot....

R.K. Brumbelow said...

If you had 2 parallel rails forming a channel, that had an opening along the bottom wide enough to allow one length of brass through, but not another. Then you could easily separate them, much like coin separators work.

R.K. Brumbelow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R.K. Brumbelow said...

In fact: Here is a brass sorter

Retired Spook said...

Then there's the .45 ACP cases with small primers. When I find the person that thought THAT was a good idea, Imna beat him with a primer tube.

Thomas said...

Retired spook beat me to it.
Nothing screws up a nice progressive loading session like trying to push a large pistol primer into a small primer pocket. Hand-sort the already-hand-sorted 45 brass again.