Monday, November 3, 2014

Click and Clack

Tom Magliozzi, half of the team that did Car Talk on NPR, has died. The show has been in re-runs since 2012, but for many years, it was a regular part of what I did on Saturday morning. If I was working in the shop, I'd have them on.

Where I really remember listening to them was in the car. In the warm months, we would often load the kids up on Saturday morning and head for the beach. It was a 90 minute ride and I would plan our departure so that I could spend an hour of it listening to Car Talk.

They could be funny, they were clearly enjoying themselves, and it was entertaining. There was nothing else like it on public radio. Makes me long for an old Dodge with a rust problem.


drjim said...

Hot Rod magazine had an interview with the guy that owns that old Dart.

He drives it every day in NYC, and since he doesn't have a garage, he works on it in the street outside of his apartment.

burt said...

One of the last remaining shows on NPR that was funny, relatively non-political, and informative (you could learn a lot about auto diagnostics just by listening).

R.K. Brumbelow said...

Tom and Ray were part of my growing up around cars and around my liberal family. At least since they were on NPR the liberals would actually catch the jokes and humour enough that we could get along. He will be missed.