Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Looking In Every Case

Steven Kupillas left a comment about preferring a single stage press because, among other things, he's loading one at a time and looking in every case.

I agree with the looking in every case part. You can never just believe powder came out of the hopper. Never. Not with any powder delivery system.

If there were 4 Rules for Reloading,  one of them would be said, "Every case is always empty."

If Moses had gotten the 10 Commandments of Reloading on the mountain, it would be enshrined, "Thou shall look at the powder in every case, least thou have a squib."

I have a small LED lamp with a flexible gooseneck. Whatever press I am using, I set that light to shine in the case where I look into it just before setting a bullet on it. I do this on every case.

If I'm using the single stage and throwing powder into rows of cases in a loading block, I pass them all under a light and look in each one before I set the bullets on them.

To do other is to invite Murphy to go to the range.


Sherm said...

I know I'm fallible and can miss a case. I use the RCBS lockout die as a back check. Too much or too little powder and it locks my Lock and Load AP press up tight.

Steven Kupillas said...

I never actually saw a prog press in action, so I'm daft on what one can see going on. seriously though, one time i neglected to check the cases after charging them with powder,and seating bullets. I was using some stick powder in '06 cartridges I was loading and couldn't hear the powder when I shook the rounds. Well I got nervous, and ended up pulling the bullets from all twenty rounds I loaded. Paranoia sometimes creeps in. They were all loaded just fine. Better safe than sorry. Still have all my fingers and toes after all these years, they're just all mangled and arthritic.
I also put calipers on every rifle cartridge I resize regardless if they were only once fired. I got a round stuck in the chamber of a rifle once, A BAR 7mm Rem mag. The bolt wouldn't close all the way. Brownings can be picky like that. I fired a round from the bar one time and it about knocked my shoulder off. Well dayum! The bolt stuck closed, and I was lucky to have a backup gun, 'cause I was on my way to a four day hunt. Four months, and several hundred bucks later, I got the rifle back from the smitty.

libertyman said...

I like to use powders that about fill the case, so I avoid powders like 231 that take very small charges. Yes, you can get more rounds per pound with 231, but I stopped using it for that reason.

Skip said...

Single stage and eyeball every single one.
Weigh the charge of every fifth one.
Measure everything.
Takes a long time, but they are as perfect as I can make them.

Arthur said...

I look inside each case to check for head separations as well. I've found I can see a case head starting to separate much earlier than the 'bent wire' method will detect. The thinning case wall creates an obvious shadow.

Of course that's easier on .30+ cal than on .22 cal rounds.