Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Lee 1000 Replies

Your replies were just about what I expected. I have a turret press, currently set up for 5.56NATO and on that I do just what Dave H. suggests. Priming is done away from from the press with an RCBS priming tool like this one. I really like this tool, it's reliable and quick.
I do a coffee can's worth of brass at a time, doing all them one step, then all of the next. Throwing powder and seating bullets done together, of course. This works well and I keep that press set up for that caliber.

Decapping and priming could certainly be done separately and primed cases fed into the Lee 1000 to be sized with no decapping pin in the die. It means handling them 2 extra times, so I'm not sure if that would be faster. I may keep on fiddling with the priming system. Maybe I'll be the guy that comes up with a fix.


Dave H said...

Some guys have posted a bunch of Lee Loadmaster videos here, including help with the priming system.

I believe the Loadmaster and the Pro 1000 use a similar priming system, so maybe some of their advice will help.

(And if you ever do get a Loadmaster, this site is a necessity. Lee's documentation seems to be written assuming that you're the person who designed the thing.)

Goober said...

I have an RCBS handheld primer tool that I love, for multiple reasons.

First and foremost, it has a mechanism that sets the primers with exactly the same amount of force every time. All you need to do is squeeze the trigger all the way to the grip handle every time, and your primer set will be the same on shell 100 as it was on 1.

Second, it is not bench mounted, so I can sit on my couch and watch netflix while I'm priming my casings, instead of having to sit at the reloading bench downstairs (the chair I have down there is very uncomfortable...)

Third, it is fast. Holy hell is it fast. i can re-prime 100 cases so fast that you wouldn't believe it.

Old NFO said...

It's good and a 'portable' setup... Just don't drop the primers on the carpet and try to vacuum them up... sigh

Scott_S said...

I've used a lee pro 1000 for .45acp and have loaded 15-20k rounds on it. It is quick to setup and run - with a good price. The priming system is at the ram down (handle top) part of the stroke so you can feel any potential issues before they go boom.