Monday, October 20, 2014


Went to the movies and saw Fury on the big screen. A WWII tank movie done over the top, characterization is thin, some of the deaths you can see coming, there's no good guys, just "us and them", etc.

So, um, I liked it. It's well done. It's hard to watch, lacking even the hope that Saving Private Ryan offered. An in-your-face movie that takes place late in the war during the final push into Germany. I don't want to post spoilers, so here's the trailer.


knottedprop said...

Well I will publish a few spoilers, the dog dies, Hitler commits suicide with his new bride Eva Braun in his bunker, the Russians take Berlin and the allies meet up on the Elbe.

knottedprop said...

Oh and Borepatch hope you are healing fast and with little pain.

NotClauswitz said...

I find the dialog in the trailer a bit melodramatic and cliche, "The Dyin's not Done...the Killin'...Best job I ever had..." Blah-blah. It sounds Mid-90's Tarantino to me, not resonant of 1944. Grim yes.

kx59 said...

Saw this over the weekend as well.
I liked it a lot, and that's saying something, considering that I have not seen a movie trailer in years that compelled me to shell out the money for a movie ticket.

Goober said...

There were a few units that saw so much combat that they got this tired and worn out, for sure, but I'm a little afraid that we're not getting an accurate portrayal of the situation on the ground in WWII, since we always focus on the worst case scenarios for good cinematic effect.

The 101st in "Band of Brothers" for instance. Or the Rangers in Saving Private Ryan.

From what I can divine, there was a lot more down time during the war than combat time. The average infantryman in WWII saw 40 days combat in FOUR YEARS.

Sure there were some that saw more than that, some that saw less. That's what averages mean.

Compare that to 240 days combat in ONE YEAR in Vietnam...