Friday, October 10, 2014

Borepatch Update

Borepatch called me last night, They kept him another day in the hospital. Not sure if it's because they are concerned about anything or if it was mostly for pain management. He is scheduled to be released today to travel back home. In our conversation he mentioned how surprised and moved he was by the overwhelming response of all of you.

Sometime in the coming days he will have surgery to reduce the collarbone fracture and install a plate. He said he expects recovery to take six weeks. As an old guy myself, I expect it more likely to take months.

The bike is on a trailer, he has a rental car and a driver, and he has promised to keep us updated. He seemed  oriented and coherent more like himself* and asked me to post this update.

** Here's a video. It seems to be slightly different than the story Borepatch has been telling us.


*Updated based on concerns expressed in comments
 **Updated to include Dirk's video of the accident

14 comments:

2cents said...

Now I am truly worried. Something is clearly wrong. I have known him for a very long time. To my knowledge, he has NEVER been oriented or coherent.

Brigid said...

Thanks for the update. I didn't talk to him on the phone yesterday and was hoping it was because he was able to travel home. But these things shouldn't be rushed Give him my best.

gunfreezone said...

Agreed with 2cents, oriented and coherent means his body has been snatched by aliens,

Comrade Misfit said...

I hope he has an uneventful recovery.

Rev. Paul said...

We assume by "oriented and coherent" that he's his usual, curmudgeonly self. :)

Goober said...

Good. Get home, get rest. Recover.

Dirk said...

I think *this* is what *really* happened...

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8340937216/h58EEB2AA/

Bill Matthey said...

Irascible & curmudgeonly. Now that's a combination to reckon with.

NotClauswitz said...

Now he needs to become the 2nd type of drive and get a truck instead of a car. :-)

ProudHillbilly said...

I've noticed that as I've aged gravity has increased and the ground has gotten harder. Hopefully, now that he has demonstrated this to himself he will never demand first hand knowledge again.

burt said...

Good to hear that BP is on the mend. It'll be about 6 weeks until he can take off the braces, but months until he's able to move relatively normally again.

In time for the next riding season, of course.

re. ProudHillbilly: yeh, gravity is causing me to sag in places I never used to sag, and there's also lot less snow now than when I was younger. Must be global warming. Used to come up to my chest many years ago ... now it just comes up to my knees ...

Oh, and for BP: riding during an ice storm is strongly discouraged. At least, for 2 wheeled vehicles, that is. But you're down in Hotlanta so you won't get more than a few microns of hardened wetness during the winter, so you're probably fine.

Kansas Scout said...

my stepson was riding with a couple this summer and they were hit head on. Wife dead. Man lost leg. About a month ago he hit a deer and broke his thumb and needed surgery. Major Major road rash. Upscale harley totaled. Moral of the story. Bikes are dangerous. Perhaps the responsible thing would be to give it up? My stepson did. Best wishes on your recovery.

Hat Trick said...

Good to hear that he's headed home. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Jester said...

I'll take alive and on pain meds over an obituary any day. Get home Borepatch and recover.