Thursday, September 4, 2014

Using the Sling

There's a trend here and several more posts in the series. I think the next thing is the proper configuration and use of the sling on an M-1 Garand. I might jump 2:50 into the video, if what you want is the sling up procedure and positions.


New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I saw the subject line before clicking, and thought "you know, there is this WWII video that will teach you everything you need to know..." and you have a clip from that video.

newrebeluniv said...

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side

.45ACP+P said...

been to an Appleseed yet? I can hook you up.

Goober said...

It's so funny. I learned to use my rifle sling to steady a shot early in my shooting career.

i first shot my old post-'64 Winchester M70 in 30-06 when I was ten. We were loading old corrosive primered military surplus stuff, (which i think my Dad did intentionally to teach my proper rifle care). He showed me how to use the sling to steady my shot.

It became second nature. So much so that I didn't even think about it, until one day my sling broke when I was hunting.

I took a shot at a deer later that day. It was a 250 yard quartering shot on a deer that was trotting away, and I remember very clearly feeling like the rifle was like an unruly bucking bronc in my hands.

It took me a while to figure out why I'd had so much trouble, and it was because of the damn sling...

I killed the deer, on the second shot. First shot was unfortunately a gut shot that knocked it down, and when it got back up to run, i hit it again on it's second lunge.

Slings aare important.