Sunday, September 28, 2014

Thompson

This is my grail gun, too. Some guns hum a little "buy-me, love-me, take-me-home" tune when you fondle them. The 1928 Thompson sings to me like a siren calling a sailor onto the rocks. All that stops me is the fact that owning is completely out of reach. I am lashed to the mast and cannot break free. If someone left me 50 million, I would start the paperwork that week, before I bought a new truck, talked to a financial adviser, or even picked out the safe I was going to put it in.

I have shot a Thompson, both the 1928 and the WWII configuration, several times. Won a club full-auto shoot and the over all high shot for the day using a 1928 Thompson, a 1911, and an AR-15 on one of those occasions. There was a member of my club that had a large collection that included several full-auto weapons. He had purchased them decades ago when new ones could be made, and while they were relatively expensive, they were were still within reach. He was generous with his toys and would set up range days that gave us access. He has passed on and it seems unlikely that opportunity will come my way again.

Here's one for $19,995. It sings to me. The Wiki article is a good jumping off point to read about the Thompson. There's information about the variants, the modifications during the production years, weights, rates of fire, and more. This time, for me, it's not academic. Here's a gun pr0n image and a video. Click on the image to biggify.
And here's the story of the Thompson from the History Channel's Tales of the Gun. The retired FBI agent, John Wallace, that appears at 40:14 is the man I knew and that Thompson is one that I got to shoot.

6 comments:

Dave H said...

The Thompson would be sweet to have, but expensive to feed. You'd probably spend the rest of that $50 mil buying and shooting ammo. (And cackling like a maniac the whole time. At least I would.)

ASM826 said...

Dave,

Good catch! I didn't even mention the ammo. Because I would be trying wear it out. Ammo would would come on pallets. I'd probably make a big donation to the club so they could put up a new building that included my .45ACP storage room.

drjim said...

One of the guys I used to work with has one that he brought back from Nam.

He says shooting it is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on....

Dave H said...

Dad had an interesting story to tell about a Thompson. He was in the Navy stationed at Pearl Harbor, working in the radio shack, when an urgent encoded message came in. Everybody with the combination to the safe with the codebooks was away for the weekend, so they couldn't decrypt the message. Dad called the officer in charge, explained the situation, and said he'd be willing to try to open the safe if the officer OKed it. The officer said all right but he wanted armed guards standing right there, and if he even tried to reach into the safe he'd be shot on the spot.

Dad agreed, so the officer came over with a couple of SPs, one armed with a Thompson and the other with a 1911. The one with the Thompson was Dad's best friend, and the guy I was named for. So Dad went to work with his best friend ready to rip him a few new ones.

Dad got the safe open. He always was good in a pinch.

Old NFO said...

Yep definitely a grail gun! :-)

Clinton said...

The only gun that can beat the thompson for me in the 'holyshitineedthisrightnow' dept is an original BAR. I'd beg borrow or force someone to make me high capacity mags. And then shoot all the ammo. ever.