Sunday, August 17, 2014

What Are You Shooting At?

At the range yesterday afternoon and I thought of this post. There are a lot of unavoidable expenses in the shooting sports. Guns, ammo, spotting scopes, hearing protection, eye protection, reloading supplies, and so on. Fairly expensive outlays, when you add it up.

So what are we shooting at? Cheap paper plates with a spot of magic marker or a dark paster in the center. Put up the target stands, or use the backer boards, and staple a couple of plates on it. It makes the target cost very close to nothing.

If you looking for something better different, there are alternatives. Here's a thread with lots of links to printable targets of every sort. Your local gun store has a selection he'd like to interest you in. But I can tell you, most of the guys have a pack of these somewhere in the truck.


9 comments:

Old NFO said...

Why yes I do... dunno where the magic marker is though... sigh

Reno said...

Yup

Dave H said...

I shoot targets I download & print out. My favorite is a 1" grid with a dark square in the center. Makes a decent sight adjustment target. My biggest complaint is trying to hit the 8.5 x 11" paper at 100 yards. I bought some full sized silhouettes for that.

Murphy's Law said...

I always tell folks that if you can keep all your shots on the plate, you can keep them on the bad guy's chest/head.

Nosmo King said...

I use paper plates for myself, and with raw beginner students - cheap, easy to find, etc. Once a certain skill level is reached and the targets move out well past 18-20 feet I shift to copy paper - even cheaper than paper plates, available in colors (for "shoot only the green (or red or blue, etc.) targets" drills, and I can print stuff on them. The copy paper works better in rifle classes where the targets are 200-400 yards out, and I believe, but cannot prove, that a rough rectangle provides a better visualization tool for self defense than an always-white, always the same size, round target (yes, I know paper plates are available in 6" dessert size, but they're still round and white). Light tan paper on a medium brown IPSC silhouette also tests powers of observation and the advantages of even low power scopes.

Glen Filthie said...

I buy the Shoot NC's...I think you Yanks call them Dirty Birds - they indicate strikes in the black with fluorescent green. I can even see .22 bullet holes at 200 yards. Afterward I use black tape and regular masking tape to patch them up and recycle them.
It's silly I suppose - taking pains and cheaping out over a target worth a buck and change at most...while shooting a rifle that's $2000.00 plus...

skybill said...

Next time you get a box of "Ritz Crackers" look at the back of the box!! One big Ritz Cracker with the center hole and several surrounding it. 'Great targets!! 'Also printed a bunch on different colored paper. Have fun!! Oh BTW, eat the crackers before you use the box for a target!
Got Gunz??,
III%,
skybill-out

Comrade Misfit said...

Why use paper plates? A ream of cheap paper is under $3 and a "bingo marker" from the dollar store and you're good to go.

EMS Artifact said...

I use paper plates, but don't use a marker. Maybe I should try that and my aim will improve.