Sunday, August 10, 2014

Old Brass

Time to retire this one.

I opened the crack slightly so it would be more visible in the picture. If you look carefully, you can see the discoloration extending back along the case almost halfway.That's from the escaping gas when the neck failed.

That drop on pressure caused the bullet to hit about 4 inches low. It was at 6 o'clock in the 8 ring. Cost me two points in the slow fire string of the Garand match. Not a big deal, since I only shot an 82 in the off-hand and finished in the middle of the standings.

I carefully inspected the rest of the brass and it all looks fine. They go in the scrap bucket anyway.


Old NFO said...

Oops... Yeah, time to look at that whole batch... And agreed! Dump them all.

Nosmo King said...

I'm assuming you segregate your match brass by headstamp and # of firings, and track # of reloads (for a Garand I would not expect segregation by case weight...only Benchresters are AR and OCD enough for that...).

When the first case problem surfaces in a batch, it's time to retire the entire batch.

drjim said...

Any idea how many times that particular case has been reloaded?

Borepatch said...

We did one that was even cooler than this. ;-)

Goober said...

Most of us just keep our batches in 50 round boxes. Put the spent case back in the box, track how many times you've reloaded that particular box...

I usually ditch my brass after three.

Nto that it won't last any longer, but I can't shake the idea that some day, there will be a once in a lifetime elk standing before me, with crosshairs on it's bread basket, and I'm going to have a monumental fuck up because I used a case once too many.